Body Die with Lee Collet

vtmarmot

P Magoon, Livin' Free NH
OK, the second part of my question got lost in the shuffle in the "Mandrel vs. Bushing" thread.

I have been planning on some of my (less precise) rifles to use body dies in conjunction with Lee collet dies, just bumping the shoulders and then using the collets on the necks. I am talking about unturned necks here. Is this a sustainable method of preparing cases or will I run into trouble after a few firings?

OK, the second part of my question got lost in the shuffle in the "Mandrel vs. Bushing" thread.

I have been planning on some of my (less precise) rifles to use body dies in conjunction with Lee collet dies, just bumping the shoulders and then using the collets on the necks. I am talking about unturned necks here. Is this a sustainable method of preparing cases or will I run into trouble after a few firings?
I've been resizing .17/204 brass using a Redding .204R body die and .17 Rem Lee collet die that I already had on hand in lieu of buying a custom die. Rifle is shooting sub-half inch 5-shot groups at 100 yds. with this ammo. No problems whatever and don't expect any. I size full length with the body die setting shoulders back about 0.003".

Last edited:
Lee collet dies can be used to build benchrest quality loads. That's what I use for the 30-30 BR loads that I use in competition. In order to get the desired neck tension that I use, I polish the mandrel down .001". Make sure that the tapered end of the collet and where it mates is smooth and greased for the most consistent neck tension.

Michael

So, can you use the collet and then the body die? If you use the collet first, it will eject the spent primer, which may be a bit proud of the case, otherwise affecting the shoulder bump. Or, do you just use a decapping die, then the body die, then the collet?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

So, can you use the collet and then the body die? If you use the collet first, it will eject the spent primer, which may be a bit proud of the case, otherwise affecting the shoulder bump. Or, do you just use a decapping die, then the body die, then the collet?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

I (1) Use a de-capping die to remove the spent primer, (2) Clean the case in a sonic cleaner, which also cleans the primer pocket, (3) Resize the case in the body die and (4) Neck size with the collet die. I have never tried to use the collet die first, but offhand don't see why it wouldn't work that way. I may try that sequence next time I reload. (1) Collet die, (2) Sonic cleaner and (3) Body die. Saves a separate de-capping step!

Last edited:
I may try that sequence next time I reload. (1) Collet die, (2) Sonic cleaner and (3) Body die. Saves a separate de-capping step!

Don't. If ever something needs to be kept away from gritty primer residue, it's the mandrel on a collet die. That's the very reason I opted to deprime all my cases separately.

Back