Bix 'n Andy action?

Very interesting. It looks to be a 4 lug design, but with a 90* bolt throw. Also the firing pin assembly is a multi-piece affair. I remember a guy showing up at Kelblys a few years back with a floating head firing pin assembly. I think Bart was working with him to work out the bugs, but I guess nothing ever came of it? I'll be interested to see how much one of these is going to set one back.

Fat bolt, with three pairs of lugs for a 60 degree lift, two cocking cams, floating bolt head, Rem. compatible trigger with hanger for glue in....and the Calfee fans should be smiling about because it is pin around spring, with a floating pin head, and plastic bushing on the outside of the pin. This is just from looking at the pictures, so your guess is as good as mine. Is there any chance that this action body is something like titanium? It looks a bit massive to be steel.

Hmmmmmm

not sure I would be fond of all the moving parts in the bolt assembly.......

I still like the KISS principle.......but what does Cal know?

Looks nice.

Looks like a 90 degree cocking sear, which is good to my opinion (no upward pressure on the bolt body etc).

Interesting firing pin assembly, short spring, & floating pin.
If they also polish the bore in the bolt (say to Ra 1.6 or better for extra smooth slide) that will be great. But looks like the polymer sleeve also help/would do the job ok.
Hard to see from the pic, what is the diameter of the floating firing pin tip, and how long is it? (it seems a bit short in the photo...if the travel is about .25" the tip should be at least .35").

I like integral ring mount.
I also like the adjustable LOP trigger. However for BR use I don't think people like the (additional) trigger shoe.

Yes it looks beefy, I'd guess it's titanium?

seb.

Ill just about bet that action will set one back 3 grand!! Looks bad ass though... Always nice to see folks trying to improve on our dying sport lee

That blue polymer sleeve is a bearing cage. All the little bumps are ball bearings. I believe it's called a ball bearing guide bushing. In theory it would provide very good guidance to the firing pin, but I'm not sure if it would qualify as low friction with the small bearing diameter and many, many contact points. If it was executed as well as the rest of the action appears to be, it probably works fine.

I imagine that the design allows a reduction in clearance, beyond what other designs would allow, which may eliminate most of the slop rattle during firing. I think that the trigger proves the ability to carry off a complex design, but like others have said, it will be interesting to see how it shoots.

Back