Best bang for the buck in Ultrasonic cleaners

Pete Wass

Been thinking about buying an ultrasonic cleaner for my brass. Any recommendations for UL cleaners and solvents?

Thanks,

Pete

Brass cleaning

I use IOSSO case cleaner, run cleaner for 3 minutes, rinse in water and blow dry with air. Great job of getting carbon out.:cool:

Sounds interesting

I use IOSSO case cleaner, run cleaner for 3 minutes, rinse in water and blow dry with air. Great job of getting carbon out.:cool:

I've used it years ago but had issues with etching. Likely left the cases in too long. Will it take heavy carbon out from the inside?

Thanks,

Pete

Been thinking about buying an ultrasonic cleaner for my brass. Any recommendations for UL cleaners and solvents? Thanks, Pete

Pete, I've been using the one from Harbor Freight....works great.

For a cleaner, I use Simple Green concentrate diluted 5:1 for small parts...triggers, etc. I don't clean my brass other than a swipe across the neck with 0000 steel wool and the primer pocket so can't help you there.

Hope this helps. -Al

P.S. Filling the reservoir with plain water and putting the solution and parts in a plastic baggie cleans parts better and faster, likely because the plain water conducts better than solution. I've got a small glass jar with some Mini Mark X pieces to do today....glass might be even better than the plastic baggies for conduction.

I am in

a partnership of sorts on the SS media with a friend who has been doing my cases but he's had some physical issues so I haven't bugged him with them in a couple of years. Cases sure are pretty coming out of the SS media, clean and shiny inside and out. The only down side with the pins is the ragged edges on some of the necks but I ignored it :). If the Ultrasonic will do the same, I'm all over one. I have plenty of Simple Green at home.

Pete

The Ratio?

Pete, I've been using the one from Harbor Freight....works great.

For a cleaner, I use Simple Green concentrate diluted 5:1 for small parts...triggers, etc. I don't clean my brass other than a swipe across the neck with 0000 steel wool and the primer pocket so can't help you there.

Hope this helps. -Al

P.S. Filling the reservoir with plain water and putting the solution and parts in a plastic baggie cleans parts better and faster, likely because the plain water conducts better than solution. I've got a small glass jar with some Mini Mark X pieces to do today....glass might be even better than the plastic baggies for conduction.

I have a couple gallons of Simple Green at home but don't know if it's a concentrate or diluted. Will it say on the container if its concentrate or is it all concentrate as it comes? Don't have it here to look at.

Thanks,

Pete

I don't use the heating function of cleaning brass. I still tumble my pistol cases, but don't want to bang around my Benchrest brass.

Bob

I have a couple gallons of Simple Green at home but don't know if it's a concentrate or diluted. Will it say on the container if its concentrate or is it all concentrate as it comes? Don't have it here to look at.

Thanks,

Pete

It's a strong concentrate. Dilute at will.

I use the Harbor Freight special. With the Lyman Steel/Steel cleaner for all steel stuff.
Pistols. Ie. Remove optics, remove handles on pistols, throw everything in cleaner. Barrel, slide, frame. Heat it up to about 120°. Let soak for 30 min or so. Even Glocks with Talon grips. Magazines. What ever.
Pull everything out. Blow dry with air. Tear apart slides for fine cleaning(you will be surprised how clean the extractor is), re glue talon grips with hair dryer, mags pull down follower and touch up with nylon bore brush, blow off frames, barrels clean with bore brushes while still hot, real nice cleaning.
Barrels still need that extra care. A bore scope and poor scores pointed this out....still get carbon, copper, and lead fouling. It's just a little easier when the barrel is warm....MPro 7 is really good.

Brass. I use a tumbler glass. Isso brass cleaner. 16 min. Flush with clean water well. Tumbler glass inside Ultrasonic cleaner. That is only Score brass. Group brass only used 2X.
Muzzle Brakes in tumbler glass. with Vinegar, H2O2, and a little dish detergent. Till the lead breaks apart....
All I can think of right now.

Bigger is really better

I have an US cleaner. I have only 1 recommendation. Get a bigger one than you think you will need, one big enough to hold two disassembled 1911 pistols. If you shoot handguns you know how tedious it is to clean them. An US cleaner big enough to hold them will be much easier.

Back