Bedding removal

Soaking the stock in vinegar was the old method recommended for breaking the hold of epoxy based glues and bedding compunds. Don't know if it works on more modern compounds.

Adding to (or hijacking) this thread... what's the best way to remove epoxy bedding from a factory wood stock? Dremel?

heat the epoxy with a hair dryer (wont burn the stock like a heat gun will), the epoxy will soften slightly allowing you to scrape it out with sharp chisels and dental picks.

Use the same equipment that you used to machine out the stock for the action.

+1

I normally use a die grinder (hillbilly) with a carbide burr to grind out enough clearance to skim bed for my new action/barrel on an existing bedding, and the same on a new bedding, just grind out enough to hold plenty of compound, although the heat does treatment work it's just takes a little more effort than I'm interested in. A dremel works to clean out the recoil lug recess for me. Just rough up the surfaces your bedding into real good.

Opinions from a NEWBIE, beware,
Med.

No. 1 Dremel or Foredom w/a carbide.....................

burr for the recoil lug and edge areas, the Aloxite sanding drum for other areas, but it isn't necessary to remove it all if its a good product you used to begin with.

No. 2 Chain saw sculptor........:D.......:cool:

I don't know it's the best method, I use a milling machine. If you have one it's the easiest way and easiest way to clean up the bedding job when done.

Thanks guys!

Howdy,
Thanks for the input guys, sorry to take so long to get back to say thanks. I am putting a 40x in a different 40x stock for a while. The answers helped. Again, thanks!

Greg

Back