Bedding question

David Sengelaub

I have a Winchester model 70 Feather Weight that I want to bed and install pillars. The barrel channel, in the stock, it has a raised area at the end of the stock that puts pressure on the barrel. The question is do I want to remove it and make it a true full floating barrel or is there a good reason Winchester has it touching.

Let me take a second to put a plug in an advertiser. I bought the DVD from Richard’s Custom Rifles on stress free pillar bedding. Great DVD just got done bedding my 700 Remington and it came out picture perfect. I would highly recommend This DVD to anybody if its’ your first bedding job. Watch it twice, three times if you’re watching with Budweiser, and have at it. Your won’t be sorry.

David

It Depends...

Some rifles with light weight barrels shoot best with upward pressure at the forend tip. Others prefer free floating. It's all a matter of different barrel vibrations (harmonics).

Try your rifle as is to see if it performs well for you. If not, try free floating.

If you free float and want to go back to forend pressure you can add a pad of bedding compound there. There are tricks to this--like turning the rifle upside down and hanging weights from the barrel before the pad hardens so you end up with upward pressure on the barrel.

Back