Bedding a rifle..........release agent

H

huntinfool

I have had a can of Synlube 1000 release agent and have used it to do a few rifles, but I'm about to run out. I can't seem to find any local and they want an extra $20 for the haz-mat. What can I use that I will be able to find locally? I use Marine-Tex as my bedding compound.

Clear paste floor wax... several different brands all seem to work as a good release agent...

I'll second the Kiwi neutral with Devcon... works very well because you can buff it down to a very thin layer and get a skin-tight bedding.

I have had a can of Synlube 1000 release agent and have used it to do a few rifles, but I'm about to run out. I can't seem to find any local and they want an extra $20 for the haz-mat. What can I use that I will be able to find locally? I use Marine-Tex as my bedding compound.

I love that stuff! When the can I got with my Holland stock was empty I did a search on Google and I ended up ordering more from a company that does body molds or something like that. I ordered 4 cans, figured that would last me the rest of my life. There was no haz-mat fee. I wish I could remember the name of the place, I get an email from them every now and then when they have a sale. Can't beat Synlube 1000!!!

Tom

I love that stuff! When the can I got with my Holland stock was empty I did a search on Google and I ended up ordering more from a company that does body molds or something like that. I ordered 4 cans, figured that would last me the rest of my life. There was no haz-mat fee. I wish I could remember the name of the place, I get an email from them every now and then when they have a sale. Can't beat Synlube 1000!!!

Tom

I got mine with my Holland stock also.

Rust-guardit is a GREAT release agent. Spray it on and wait about 10 minutes. It leaves very clean lines and is pretty tenacious about staying on the gun. Not messy or gooey either. When you use this you won't look elsewhere for another product.

Some artist use Vasoline for mold release. I got this information from an artist. Has anyone tried it for bedding a rifle?

Concho Bill

I've heard of it used for bedding, but not a rifle. :rolleyes:

Actually, I have seen it used as a release agent, but not in applications where a smooth precision finish is required. The guys at an engineering shop I once frequented used it (& about any heavy grease handy) when they poured patches on castings.

I half recall that there was some issue with the surface not setting up properly some times because of some reaction.

Back