bausch and lomb 36x

B

bcarico

Opinions on Bausch and Lomb 36x and Weaver 36x for 1000yd benchrest. I want to go with Nightforce br 12-42 but have new a baby and money is a little tight. All Opinions appreciated.
Thanks
Brandon

people shoot with 36's but i think more shooters shoot with some variable...it allows one to back down the power when mirage is an issue.

i went with a luepold 8-25 30 mm tube and later added a bulseyepro 3x( more like a .3 multiplier)..so i am at 10-32......

mike in co

people shoot with 36's but i think more shooters shoot with some variable...it allows one to back down the power when mirage is an issue.
I'm not sure this is true even now. If so a rather recent development. The most common scope on the line is probably a 24X, either Leupold or Weaver. I've used a couple Weaver 24X for years -- Do have a NF on my HG now, though.

No scope will let you see bullet holes -- on the East coast, anyway, so the extra power is not needed.

The B&L and Weaver are good scopes ...but they have "limited" travel on the turrets....for long range a 20-40 MOA base is usually required....nuthin wrong with the optics etc....just not enuff UP for wayyy out there,and then get you back on at 100....its not abig problem with a target rifle ,,,and Ihave done it a cupla times ,,,just want you to know "goin in" that xtra bases or ring tilt/slant is needed......Roger

Last edited:
Tell Leonard Baity. He'll fix you up with 20MOA bases. Might anyway, even if you don't tell him. Sort of understood with 1K gunsmiths.

Mr. Baity wants me to decide on a scope then bring it to him. Says he's going to tilt the rings so that I'm looking through the center of the glass, no matter witch scope i decide on.
Brandon

Opinions on Bausch and Lomb 36x and Weaver 36x for 1000yd benchrest. I want to go with Nightforce br 12-42 but have new a baby and money is a little tight. All Opinions appreciated.
Thanks
Brandon
Both are fine scopes , everything else being equal most people who have used both will tell you the B&L is a slightly clearer, slightly brighter scope. Additionally the Weavers optical quality tends to vary over a wider range, I cannot ever recall being told by somebody they had a bad B&L

Dick

I cannot ever recall being told by somebody they had a bad B&L

Dick
Well now you have, probably. I have an older 36X, the model before the 4000, where the slightest pressure on the ocular bell causes it to move, and the crosshairs point to a different place.

I did call the technical center, and they weren't terribly interested. I was told that I would have to pay a fee to have it evaluated. Don't remember exactly, but it was over $100, with no guarantee that it could be fixed. I was not the original owner, there was no warranty involved. They also mentioned that the company had changed ownership since that model was produced, and the new owners felt little obligation to the previous owner's products.

Well this was back in the 1990s, when serious stuff was done by writing a letter, and I never wrote one. Maybe the telephone tech was just having a bad day. I still shoot it from time to time, with the faint hope that when it moves under recoil (it must), it always comes back to the same spot. Odd, since I no longer believe in Santa Clause . . .

Anyway, I always check for that now. Not found it to happen to Weavers, but I'll allow they can have other problems with the adjustment mechanism taking a set, so they don't completely settle down until 4-5 shots after you've clicked.

I honestly don't know what scope is perfect these days. Never had a March. Am pretty satisfied with a newer Leupold competition scope - so far.

FWIW

personally I would not use a fixed power scope, I sometimes need to turn em down just to get a sight picture of where the target is, I think with a fixed you would struggle alot more than with a variable. I have used the Leupolds and NF scopes, to me, the NF are a better scope for BR. March is supposed to be well worth the money but I can not afford it. All the same, give serious thought to variable scopes. Ron Tilley

Would the Sightron 10-50-60 be worth considering? Anyone have experience with these? I can pick one up for just under 800.
Thanks
Brandon

I've seen one & helped a guy get on paper using one ot the new Sightrons at Butner. Very nice. The only issue would be how well it holds POI, and ease of changing power and that side-focus parallax adjustment. There were a couple complaints on the early ones over that. You can't ever tell if that was a couple of whiny people, or a real issue.

BTW, I've used fixed power 24X scopes for 15 years now, from Iowa to Pennsylvania to Carolina & points in betweeen. Never felt "under scoped."

BTW2, when it is terribly clear, I can see .338 bullet holes in the white with the NF. It's been that clear two-three times over the 7 years I've had it . . .

ohhh so you have never shot at a real 1000 yd range yet......
lol
come on out here and shoot on the flat, very calm, easy to shoot colorado plains.....lol
mike in co
( no comment required, just pokin fun)
I've seen one & helped a guy get on paper using one ot the new Sightrons at Butner. Very nice. The only issue would be how well it holds POI, and ease of changing power and that side-focus parallax adjustment. There were a couple complaints on the early ones over that. You can't ever tell if that was a couple of whiny people, or a real issue.

BTW, I've used fixed power 24X scopes for 15 years now, from Iowa to Pennsylvania to Carolina & points in betweeen. Never felt "under scoped."

BTW2, when it is terribly clear, I can see .338 bullet holes in the white with the NF. It's been that clear two-three times over the 7 years I've had it . . .

ohhh so you have never shot at a real 1000 yd range yet......
lol
come on out here and shoot on the flat, very calm, easy to shoot colorado plains.....lol
mike in co
( no comment required, just pokin fun)
Oh, I'll comment. You're talking about mirage, right? You're speaking from your vast experience? What was it, two matches?

But my pals Joel Pendergraft, Dave Tooley and Steve Shelp did shoot Beyers -- at the NBRSA Nationals a couple times. Joel won HG once, and Dave set an NBRSA group record, & all placed quite high. None of them mentioned any mirage problems. Neither did Regan Greene when he came to shoot with us, and Beyers was his home range. Dave, Steve, Regan and I were on a team at the 2006 Iowa IBS Nationals; we came to know Regan pretty well. Oh, we won the LG team event . . .

Finally, Brandon will be shooting at Butner, my home range. I hope I can speak to its peculiarities.

Remind me again just what experience you have to offer?

If I recall, when Jackie was working on scopes, he said the internals between the B&L and Weaver were about the same, in relation to how they hold POA. I own several Weavers, but no B&Ls, so I can't comment on the optics.

Brandon....the answer to your ? about the Sightron varible is YES...it is much better ....more power,variable,30mm tube(lets in more light and more turret adj travel).....I have used one at 600 and found it to be very useable....lots of scope for the $$...Roger

not just mirage, but wind......there is always wind at the range...have never seen a calm day during a match.......i'm sure they exist . i think i saw mirage ...once...
don't get so serious....i said you , not your friends.....what does WHO you shoot with have to do with WHERE you have not shot ?
yes i have next to no long range experience, and most here know that so it was obvious HUMOR....but you could not see that....
jesszzzzzz go have a beer and relax......
mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 B&L 24s and a B&L 36 that I have used at 1000 yards over the past 15 years with no problems! The 24s are super clear with repeatible adjustments and a good field of view,my personal choice. The 36 is the same with a smaller field of view. These scopes need to bedded in the rings to get enough adjustment at 1000 yards since they have 1/8 minute clicks,this is one of Leonard's specialities. Also 1/8 minute clicks make it great for score shooting at 1000.

Hey, Alvin,

Glad to hear my B&L problem is likely a rare one.

(Brandon, now this IS someone you should listen to. 99.9 IBS points. All he has to do is beat two people on a three-person relay & he's Gold Level. That will make him the 8th person in the world, ever, to reach the Long Range Marksman Gold Level.)

I much prefer the optical quality of the B&L over the Weaver 36. I have owned both, the Weaver for limited time due its lack of clarity. Try and find the B&L with both sets of knobs included also.

Try and find the B&L with both sets of knobs included also.

Used of course...

Boy, wish Bushnell would bring back "their" (ex- B&L) fixed power target scopes...
Just love the two (4000 & 4200 36x) I have ... SOLID on the mechanics and optics..

Got a new Weaver 36x coming... Hope it's as good optically as recent produced (ATK owned) Weaver 36's I've looked through....

My purpouses, 100/200 short range...

Like Roger, I think the Sightron variable would be a great choise for 1000.. Know several 600yd (F-class in particular)shooters that favor these...

cale

Back