Basic tuner question

latisimusd

I just received my Ezell PRX PDT tuner and have a basic installation question that I cannot seam to find in search function.
When installing the tuner on the barrel on my Lija 0.900" straight 27" barrel; is it seated firmly against the muzzle?
I want to make sure before I cut the inner tube for the PRX formula.

Sorry for the newbie question.

Thanks in advance

The tuner doesn't know..

I just received my Ezell PRX PDT tuner and have a basic installation question that I cannot seam to find in search function.
When installing the tuner on the barrel on my Lija 0.900" straight 27" barrel; is it seated firmly against the muzzle?
I want to make sure before I cut the inner tube for the PRX formula.

Sorry for the newbie question.

Thanks in advance

It won't matter that it is or isn't firmly against the muzzle. I use a DRO to accurately measure barrel length but, most people don't have one at home so, therein lies the problem...measuring barrel length accurately.

If you cut the tuner a few thou short you can slide it out a bit to get to the precise PRX length. Obviously, if it's cut spot on to a given length, the only way to shorten it is to either cut the tube or counterbore it deeper.

In all honesty, I make these tuners so that the PRX can be used if one desires but I'm not a big believer in that tuning method, myself. It has been my experience that I can tune just as well with or without regard to the PRX length...YMMV. I'm not saying that it doesn't work...many swear by it. I'm just not one of them. For starters, if the barrel length isn't accurately measured, the PRX isn't right either. Most people use a cleaning rod and a piece of tape, then a tape measure to give barrel length. This alone, shoots holes in the theory unless a more precise method of barrel length can be utilized to begin with, IMHO.

That said, if one does as I mentioned and cut the tube a few thou short, you can creep up on the length with testing, by sliding the tuner forward on the barrel a bit. I have no problem in saying that you can slide it forward 1/16" or so without issue....Which is also about as accurately as most people can measure the actual barrel length by the cleaning rod and tape method with any consistency.

The PRX method is incorporated into my RF tuner design for anyone who wishes to use it. I have proven to my own satisfaction that, on my own rifles, I can cut the tube off and achieve just as good a tune by adjusting the tuner body as with most other tuners.

There it is..straight from the horse's mouth. While I won't bash Tony's PRX tuning method, I simply find that I can match it without that added variable.

I've said it about a million times but will say it again...The single, BY FAR, most common mistake with tuners is in moving them too far at a time. The sooner people realize how LITTLE tuner movement is needed to affect tune. the better...for everyone. If you're moving the tuner more than one mark at a time, you're relying on blind luck. And even if you blindly find a sweet spot..which there are many in it's range of adjustment, the magic comes in methodically being able to maintain that peak level of tune, through varying conditions and ammo changes.

Here is where I will default to my belief that the best advice I can give anyone about using a tuner is...Be very methodical about testing and assume everything you have read or heard about adjusting them(or not) is wrong.

They are really very easy to use if you are willing to do this, which means you're better off to start with a clean slate, mentally. RF is more difficult than CF in this regard due to ammo inconsistencies but it's a heck of a lot easier than the umpteen million methods you'll read and hear about from every Tom, Dick, Harry and Bill out there, who all seem to have their own thoughts on it. It does take good ammo to tune with. Without it, you're chasing you tail.---Mike Ezell

Feel free to contact me as I'm happy to discuss it with you or anyone.

Last edited:
It won't matter that it is or isn't firmly against the muzzle. I use a DRO to accurately measure barrel length but, most people don't have one at home so, therein lies the problem...measuring barrel length accurately.

If you cut the tuner a few thou short you can slide it out a bit to get to the precise PRX length. Obviously, if it's cut spot on to a given length, the only way to shorten it is to either cut the tube or counterbore it deeper.

In all honesty, I make these tuners so that the PRX can be used if one desires but I'm not a big believer in that tuning method, myself. It has been my experience that I can tune just as well with or without regard to the PRX length...YMMV. I'm not saying that it doesn't work...many swear by it. I'm just not one of them. For starters, if the barrel length isn't accurately measured, the PRX isn't right either. Most people use a cleaning rod and a piece of tape, then a tape measure to give barrel length. This alone, shoots holes in the theory unless a more precise method of barrel length can be utilized to begin with, IMHO.

That said, if one does as I mentioned and cut the tube a few thou short, you can creep up on the length with testing, by sliding the tuner forward on the barrel a bit. I have no problem in saying that you can slide it forward 1/16" or so without issue....Which is also about as accurately as most people can measure the actual barrel length by the cleaning rod and tape method with any consistency.

The PRX method is incorporated into my RF tuner design for anyone who wishes to use it. I have proven to my own satisfaction that, on my own rifles, I can cut the tube off and achieve just as good a tune by adjusting the tuner body as with most other tuners.

There it is..straight from the horse's mouth. While I won't bash Tony's PRX tuning method, I simply find that I can match it without that added variable.

I've said it about a million times but will say it again...The single, BY FAR, most common mistake with tuners is in moving them too far at a time. The sooner people realize how LITTLE tuner movement is needed to affect tune. the better...for everyone. If you're moving the tuner more than one mark at a time, you're relying on blind luck. And even if you blindly find a sweet spot..which there are many in it's range of adjustment, the magic comes in methodically being able to maintain that peak level of tune, through varying conditions and ammo changes.

Here is where I will default to my belief that the best advice I can give anyone about using a tuner is...Be very methodical about testing and assume everything you have read or heard about adjusting them(or not) is wrong.

They are really very easy to use if you are willing to do this, which means you're better off to start with a clean slate, mentally. RF is more difficult than CF in this regard due to ammo inconsistencies but it's a heck of a lot easier than the umpteen million methods you'll read and hear about from every Tom, Dick, Harry and Bill out there, who all seem to have their own thoughts on it. It does take good ammo to tune with. Without it, you're chasing you tail.---Mike Ezell

Feel free to contact me as I'm happy to discuss it with you or anyone.

Mr. Ezell,
I have tuners on my small bore prone rifles and they are more for longer sight axis (iron sights) and I'd have to be able to hold still enough, see well enough, read wind better for harmonics to come into that equation. :)

Your reply was what I was looking for;
In my BR testing today I found the general sweet spot (more fine tuning required) and that this barrel likes Lapua and Wolf ammo, RWS-Eley-SK were ok, just not as tight as Lapua M,CX & Wolf MTE. There was a difference with your tuner on or off my barrel - much better with it.
I can see from my limited BR experience that this is not a plug & play operation.
Small bore prone is challenging from the physical hold it still/sight picture standpoint (wish I could do both better), rimfire BR is also about consistency just a little different application (don't touch or squeeze anything differently from last center hit/watch the wind).
Thank you for your input it will help limit my moments of testing insanity. ;)
Just getting started - The dialed in groups made me grin!

Attachments

• ANZ 2013a.jpg
    ANZ 2013a.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 208
Back