barrel tennons

J

j mckinnie

is the tennon on a BAT DS &3lug the same?What are the differences between a BAT 3 lug and a Kelbly Panda?My 3 lug barrel screws into a Panda not sure of head space or thread length.The barrel of the 3 lug screws up to the receiver and the bolt works in the Panda.However the barrel of the 3 lug doesnt screw all the way into the DS?Any information would be greatly appreciated Thanks jim:confused:

is the tennon on a BAT DS &3lug the same?What are the differences between a BAT 3 lug and a Kelbly Panda?My 3 lug barrel screws into a Panda not sure of head space or thread length.The barrel of the 3 lug screws up to the receiver and the bolt works in the Panda.However the barrel of the 3 lug doesnt screw all the way into the DS?Any information would be greatly appreciated Thanks jim:confused:

BAT's have been made with several tenons to accommodate buyers requests. You can get a BAT with a Panda tenon and headspace on request or their standard. Since you are down-under (Summer I guess) email the BAT folks and give them your serial numbers.

Jim, Panda barrel tenons are 1.062" x 18tpi and 1.125 long and the BAT 3L is 1.062" x 18tpi but only 1" long.
While I haven't seen a DS I think the tenon dimentions differ to the normal BAT action.
Jerry is right that some BAT actions were made with a Panda tenon, I think that they stopped doing this to standardise the actions they made (I could be wrong about this).....Ian

Thanks

Ian that explains the barrel screwing into the panda the 3 lug barrel screw all but 1/4" into the DS.Were going chambering tommorrow and the first time so just being cautious.I will just standardize the tennon for the DS and then they fit each other I HOPE.As in cut the thread to suit the DS.

Screwing a BAT barrel into a Panda is a no-no unless you really know the dimensions of both, As Ian mentions the tenons are a different length and also most BAT's have a 25 degree cone whereas a Panda has a 30 degree cone.

To further confuse the issue- http://www.batmachine.com/products/products.htm

Jerry

I cant find any tennon lengths on either BAT or Kelbly's site?Thank you also jim

DS Tenon

Jim,

Off my head the tenon length for a DS is 1.060"...head space length is 1.075"...this also suits the SV as well....Stolle Panda tenon is 1.115" long.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks

Steve I really hope the barrels can be switched between the 3L & DS

John, I would be looking for the answer as to WHY the 3L barrel won't screw all the way home on the DS. It could be tenon length or slightly different thread diameters.

If you make your barrels so they screw into the DS and then hope they are compatable with your 3L you could be getting into a "safety" issue. A bit of measuring should answer the question.

Do you have any old barrels for the DS?.......Ian

No

The DS is new thats why all the quieries,the barrels for the 3L are a real close fit it can be slightly looser.I have a go & no go guage from PTG,so we will have to nut it out a little.Thanks for all the great answers guys.
jim

Back