barrel length

An Opinion:

Is there an optimal barrel length that is more likely to be in tune with most premium ammo?

I don't believe anyone has yet found a way to come up with a barrel length or system that will accurately shoot all lots of ammo. It may happen but hasn't yet, to my knowledge. Some barrels and combinations are more forgiving than others but simply buying Premium ammo is no guarantee that it will shoot well in one's rifle. Some believe the chances of better consistency come with Premium Ammo but there are an awful lot of Black Boxes at matches. :)

Pete

I don't believe anyone has yet found a way to come up with a barrel length or system that will accurately shoot all lots of ammo. It may happen but hasn't yet, to my knowledge. Some barrels and combinations are more forgiving than others but simply buying Premium ammo is no guarantee that it will shoot well in one's rifle. Some believe the chances of better consistency come with Premium Ammo but there are an awful lot of Black Boxes at matches. :)

Pete

Black box ammo is premium ammo Pete.

Mike, you might just as well have this conversation with a post. You cannot help the serially unhelpable.

maybe I should ask differently.....what is the most common barrel length amongst the top shooters?

The interior characteristics of a blank will usually dictate how long you end up with but ideally it will likely tend to fall somewhere between 23 1/2"-25". There are no opinions I'm aware of that hold length as a forecaster of wide tune window.

The interior characteristics of a blank will usually dictate how long you end up with but ideally it will likely tend to fall somewhere between 23 1/2"-25". There are no opinions I'm aware of that hold length as a forecaster of wide tune window.
How can you say such a thing Tim. I'm sure you are well aware that a certain well known rimfire gunsmith is saying that if you want to shoot a naked barrel it's got to be close to 30".

How can you say such a thing Tim. I'm sure you are well aware that a certain well known rimfire gunsmith is saying that if you want to shoot a naked barrel it's got to be close to 30".

I'd submit that the smith in question is often saying things so that folks get to review what he's saying, kind of like a pole dancer......it's not so much about the feeling of a job well done as it is the attention and spotlight.....never actually seeing one in person, this is what I've been told.

You have info that refutes that Vibe?

Mike Cameron<---My Real Name

So then what was the purpose of your post exactly?
Your ASSUMPTION that it was to "refute" anything (besides Tim's statement, as noted) is insulting, though not surprising. Actually, it would seem that longer barrels have a history of shooting better, and it was probably more for "making weight" than for accuracy that the shorter barrels became popular.

What exactly was the purpose of your pushing the issue? Personal agenda?

Last edited:
Your ASSUMPTION that it was to "refute" anything (besides Tim's statement, as noted) is insulting, though not surprising. Actually, it would seem that longer barrels have a history of shooting better, and it was probably more for "making weight" than for accuracy that the shorter barrels became popular.

A little touchy are we mr Vibe, you seem to throw around those insults pretty widely yourself cant take what you pitch huh? Does there have to be an agenda to find out the purpose of your post? No personal agenda here but it seems yours was.

Mike Cameron<-----My REAL name

First of all, I took your comment to be somewhat tongue in cheek. However, where might you be reffering to the evidence of these longer barrels performance?

First of all, I took your comment to be somewhat tongue in cheek. However, where might you be referring to the evidence of these longer barrels performance?
Mostly anecdotal, same as you and Mike post, from people who used to shoot them, and next to them. Backed up with the fact that the math more or less supports this idea that they "should" shoot better (assuming a good chamber and bore). There's a nice little story about the 250 or so 29" CZ 452s that got made and sent here that shot extremely well, better than a box stock non competition rifle should have. Once you get into looking at it, what a tuner does is make the shorter barrel start behaving like a longer heavier one.

Before all of the custom actions, stocks and barrels, people did use to shoot "factory class" shoots. Before the 16",18" and 20" barrels became so popular.

Last edited:
Mostly anecdotal, same as you and Mike post, from people who used to shoot them, and next to them. Backed up with the fact that the math more or less supports this idea that they "should" shoot better (assuming a good chamber and bore). There's a nice little story about the 250 or so 29" CZ 452s that got made and sent here that shot extremely well, better than a box stock non competition rifle should have. Once you get into looking at it, what a tuner does is make the shorter barrel start behaving like a longer heavier one.

Before all of the custom actions, stocks and barrels, people did use to shoot "factory class" shoots. Before the 16",18" and 20" barrels became so popular.

What 16,18, 20 inch barrels are the ones that became so popular?Are you speaking of centerfire? I am not being picky here vibe really Im not but right now the most popular barrel length in rimfire is somewhere in the 23 to 25 inch length.

Mike Cameron<-----not an alias

Really??? This is what you're going with? I didn't realize " anecdotal" meant you make it up as you go along.
This is where actually going to matches comes in handy. 18"_20" barrels? I'm pretty sure that was right after we shot patched round balls about 10-12 years ago but I can't remember the last time I saw an 18" barrel on anything.
Also, a neat story about a single CZ hardly translates into popular. Facts, Vibe let's deal in facts.

What 16,18, 20 inch barrels are the ones that became so popular?Are you speaking of centerfire? I am not being picky here vibe really Im not but right now the most popular barrel length in rimfire is somewhere in the 23 to 25 inch length.

Mike Cameron<-----not an alias
Sorry mike. I was still speaking "factory class" when I quoted those lengths.
The most popular lengths in rimfire benchrest probably are a bit longer - but they still "require" the use of a tuner, making them behave as if they were longer, to be competitive. Longer barrels have lower natural frequencies thus longer periods of vibration, natural fact of nature - shorter barrels, with tuners, have longer periods of vibration than shorter barrels (of the same profile) without tuners. So even the 23 and 25" barrels are having to be made to "act longer" to be competitive.

Back