Barrel block bedding material?

T

twentytwoguy

I have searched all the old threads and didn't find much and wondering if anybody has found a suitable thin but tough material that could be used to go between a 2 piece barrel block and the barrel as a vibration dampener and bedding surface or is direct metal to metal still the most favored method?
Also is it customary to mount the block in the center of mass to balance the load front to back? It seems looking at alot of guns that the block is usually much closer to the action.

Thanks.

Twenty -

Howdy !

The barrel block has a big following in the benchrest " Rail Gun " class, and also in LR rifles for 1,000yd +

I set my varmint/paper-punching rifle up W/ a barrel " clamp ", so that I could float the action; ala' 1,000yd gun practice.

One driver to use of barrel blocks/clamps is that LR rifles typically have long and/or heavy barrel. Barrel " droop " can be a detractor to accuracy.
I know that in my gun, I was unable to get rid of unwanted " verticle " while I had the 28" heavy .224" cal barrel on the rifle, with the barrelled action
conventionally bedded to the stock.

With my barrel clamp set-up, I've been able to move the clamp FWD on the barrel, and tune-out the undesired verticle.
This also implies that the barrel clamp has an impact on barrel harmonics. So, in their own way; barrel clamps/block might also serve as " tuners ".

I like the results generated by my rifles barrelclamp so m uch, that I doubt I'll return to use of convetional bedding; for any long-barrelled/heavy barrelled
target/varmint rifle.

With regards,
.357Mag

I can't speak for a 2 piece block as mine are 1 piece (solid style from Bill Shehane). They are clamped direct to the barrel 1/4" in front of the action and pillar bedded to the stock with the action fully floated. While I agree somewhat with 357 Mag as to affecting harmonics, I think releaving stress placed on the actions with the HVY LONG BBLS is the primary goal.

Last edited:
I found that a thin layer ( .050") of asbestos type gasket material between the barrel and the blocks works well. My initial problem was that the block acted as a heat sink, pulling too much heat from only the back end and especially the lower half of the barrel, causing the muzzle to wander. The gasket material solved that problem, as for vibration, I assume it helps, the bullets always go where they are supposed to, cold, hot, or in between. Very accurate.

You might try contacting Gary Ocock in Surprise, AZ. Last time I spoke to him, it sounded like he'd been using delrin (or some similar material) sleeves around the barrel(s) in his rail gun for a while with successful results.

-Rick

Thanks for the replies much appreciated.
I wonder how a slit piece of pvc pipe "sleeve" between the barrel and block would work to mitigate heat transfer and maybe absorb vibration? It's pretty tough stuff.

Back