Ault Unl 10/5

L

lucky lizard

Well we just finished up at Ault with the unlimited 10/5. The usual shooters attended and shot well as usual. Larry White attended and well, schooled us on rail shooting. Set several new range records and was even offered a free bus ride home this morning :). All in good fun. I just wanted to congratulate Larry on his performance!!!! Well done and well earned! I said before he has worked hard and dedicated himself to become not only a great shooter/competitor but a welcome friend to all of us!

Larry's performance was nothing short of spectacular. I believe he finished the 10-shot 100/200 with 5 or 6 screamers, a couple in the .2s. Two teen aggs in 10-shot UNL! And it continued while shooting the 5-shot. His only flaw was a gun movement that cost him .7 group in 100 yd 5-shot, and still managed to climb back to 5th place finish in that yardage against a pretty tough field of competitors. Truly amazing.

Just out of curiosity, how does Larry set his rail on the bench? Nail it down or use sticky feet?

I never used sticky feet but had my rail slip a couple of times. Again, just curious.

Just out of curiosity, how does Larry set his rail on the bench? Nail it down or use sticky feet?

I never used sticky feet but had my rail slip a couple of times. Again, just curious.
He uses both. He puts an aluminum brace clamped to the bench in front of the rail. He just forgot to re-set it that target. Cost him setting more range records and a clean sweep. Not to worry, I'm sure he'll back at it again next year I hope.

Sticky feet under the legs, and with a bar clamped across the front of the bench top to prevent forward movement.

The range at Ault has U-shaped benches, so there isn't quite as much room (side-to-side) to position the base. I think one foot was a touch too near the edge and prone to sliding. I've seen other shooters get bit by this, especially on the U-shaped benches. I went to smaller (1" to 1-1/4" diameter) feet for this reason.

Senility & cognitive dysfunction.

Thanks for all the kind comments - the comradery always makes Ault a fun place to do benchrest consorting. Yup, I had a refresher course on moving the rail base (sticky feet will not hang off the bench well). Shakespeare obviously was not a benchrest shooter, or he wouldn't have penned "Defer no time, delays have dangerous ends...", because I hurriedly tagged my sighter as the flags went limp and airmailed what I hoped was a stunning group - it was stunning alright. Friend & neighbor bench shooter, Irv Sheldon, thought I'd had a stroke (I did, kinda').

I would be remiss not to credit much of my good fortune at this shoot to many, good hours of rail shooting discussion with mentors Gary Ocock, Doc Peterson and many others. That Marsh action I talked Doc Marsh out of is creditworthy, too, as is Gary's block/delrin treatment to my Young. Thanks all.

Bud Schalles, sir, another great shoot & I look forward to the Firewalker & groceries.

Larry White

Back