Any ideas on bolt stops?

T

Tim Mn

I am making a couple of actions this winter and am woundering what I can use for a bolt stop. The action is based on a remington 700 but it will have a three lug bolt instead of two therefore a factory bolt stop will not work. Any ideas?

Tim,

If you are doing a 3 lug then I assume that means the body of the bolt is as large or larger than the O.D. of the lugs. This means you will need a bolt stop that is spring loaded so when you pull the bolt rearward the stop will spring into a recess between the bolt body and where the lugs start. It will work much the same way as any rocker type bolt release but the shape might be a bit different. Hope this makes sense.

Tim

You might make something like the Weatherby Mark V. It has a slot milled down the bottom of the bolt that acts as a bolt alignment slot and a stop when you reach the end.

I'm not sure what the Cooper's use?

Be sure to show us pictures as you progress.

Hal

use one of those spring loaded plungers in the side like you use on a remington with a lite trigger. then mill a slot in the bolt body. that will keep the bolt straight since it will have recessed lugs. I figure you've got something else in mind to keep it straight though, right?

If you are using a full diameter bolt body, the Hall type bolt stop is pretty hard to beat. It's clean and simple if you can get to that part of your action to mill it into the receiver. The bolt stop is on the inside of the raceway and also acts as the guide to keep the bolt running straight until it's at the end of the stroke ready to close.

The Wichita 1375 bolt stop style would work in that action .

Glenn:D

If you are using a full diameter bolt body, the Hall type bolt stop is pretty hard to beat. It's clean and simple if you can get to that part of your action to mill it into the receiver. The bolt stop is on the inside of the raceway and also acts as the guide to keep the bolt running straight until it's at the end of the stroke ready to close.

that was what I was trying to say Mike:D

Tim Mn

Not to discourage anything you have set out to do, But you have to figure out materials, heat treat, EDM, broach, threading, milling, turning, boring, and your layout. The bolt stop will seem minor to some of the other tasks.

Been there, done that, and try to convince myself not to do it again. Don

I have planed everything out, from materials to machining, but for me the small simple things always cause me problems. All I have left to figure out is the bolt stop and what barrel to use. Thanks for all the ideas.

Back