Annealers

Pete Wass

Watched some videos on annealing machines this morning and looking through the list of Youtubes, there are a bunch. One newish one I saw was from DeLand Fl. Single torch and two wheels with a slot in them that handle the cases. For a couple hundred bucks, I thought it a good value. A bit noisy from the whirring rotary mechanism but has a speed control and of course, the torch is easily controllable. Requires a bit of know how but it ain't $1500. either.

The Salt bath seems the simplest and a bit less than the machine I just spoke of. I have been hoping for a cheaper induction machine but have yet to see one. I like that concept.

Pete

Last edited:
Watched some videos on annealing machines this morning and looking through the list of Youtubes, there are a bunch. One newish one I saw was from DeLand Fl. Single torch and two wheels with a slot in them that handle the cases. For a couple hundred bucks, I thought it a good value. A bit noisy from the whirring rotary mechanism but has a speed control and of course, the torch is easily controllable. Requires a bit of know how but it ain't $1500. either.

The Salt bath seems the simplest and a bit less than the machine I just spoke of. I have been hoping for a cheaper induction machine fut have yet to see one. I like that concept.

Pete

You're probably already aware of the "Annie", but in case you're not: https://fluxeon.com/product/annie-induction-annealer/. Not sure what price point you're looking at.

Regards,

GsT

I've used several methods to anneal cases, including the high end automatic machines.

My little Meeks annealer that goes on a standard hand held propane torch still gives as good a result as any.

HjRe0cQl.jpg

eN5jvQpl.jpg

Last edited:
Does the flame touch the case? Regardless, how long do you leave the case in the heat?

The flame encircles the case at the body/shoulder junction. Stand the cases up in a pan with 1/2" of water in it to act as a heat sink. Once the case is up to temp (I use Tempilac liquid), simply tip the case over into the water as you take the tool off. This stops the heating.

Once you know how long to keep the tool over the case, you can dispense with the Tempilac and simply time it. Another interesting thing I've observed with this tool.....no matter what the case size (.17's to 30's), as soon as you see bubbles forming at the case body/water line, you're where you want to be for temp. Standard propane works better than M.A.P. gas with this tool.

It's important to note that what you really want to do is simply stress relieve the cases. True annealing occurs at much higher temps.

Good shootin'. :) -Al

I've been through one of them

SLOW! We bought a Ken Light machine years ago but it requires a setup and futzing and, well, works fine enough but not what I wanted to continue with. As I have said, I think using a temperature that is right for the job in a media that is stable is the appropriate way to proceed, for me. I collaborated with a friend on a batch of SS media for cleaning cases and he has been doing them for me and annealing them after. He has a Ken Light machine also but I just thought this Salt Bath thing interesting so geared up with one. Its quick and not real messy.I like mine so far.

Pete

Last edited:
"My little Burns annealer that goes on a standard hand held propane torch still gives as good a result as any. "

Al,

I also use this set up.

Could you please tell me about how much time you have the flame on each case?

Thanks

Al, I also use this set up. Could you please tell me about how much time you have the flame on each case? Thanks

Using 450 as a temp, 8 seconds gets me there. Again, that's using propane, not M.A.P. gas.

Hope this helps. -Al

Using 450 as a temp, 8 seconds gets me there.

Thanks for sharing your method. I use a set-up similar to the one shown in the video at https://cartridgeanneal.com/, without using the liquid. I timed the process shown at about 4 seconds; however, for some reason that I don't recall I've been keeping the case in the flame for 8 seconds, without encountering a problem. In the future, maybe I'll reduce the time to about 5 seconds.

Once people understand how much more forgiving salt annealing is than torches, they will make the move. Too many people over cook their cases without knowing. Can’t overcook with salt

Ex: it only takes a few seconds for 850f salt to anneal a .013” thick case neck. How quick is the window for a 3600f torch???

Last edited:
Once people understand how much more forgiving salt annealing is than torches, they will make the move. Too many people over cook their cases without knowing. Can’t overcook with salt

Ex: it only takes a few seconds for 850f salt to anneal a .013” thick case neck. How quick is the window for a 3600f torch???

I tend to go slight lower.

My neck walls are 0.0100 for the most part on my AI cases.

And tight enough that NO factory round will chamber.

annealers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apaTDuKGr6o

I've used most of the methods covered in this thread except for the new expensive auto machines. I found a video several years back of this manual outfit and went to work building one for myself, best $50 I ever spent and as Al stated you are really just relaxing/ stress relieving the brass. (takes roughly 4-5 seconds to accomplish the task but the day dictates the dwell time, 30 BR)

Rick

Back