Aluminum-Stock Tensioned-Barrel Light Gun Done

JerryK

Having finished my aluminum stock NBRSA 1000yd Heavy Gun a while ago, I wanted to make a Light Gun that would share the same rear mechanical rest and test some theories. I know tensioned barrels are not new, but they are new to me so I thought I'd see how it worked. So far so good.

Some interesting things emerged. In my effort to fit the existing rest and make 17lb weight, I ended up with 50/50 weight distribution. Surprisingly, it doesn't jump and it tracks well. The barreled action slides in the tube and is tensioned to hold it. The tube slides in the two larger-diameter tube sections, which are welded to the stock. The tube is glued in.

I had the pieces cut on a waterjet machine from 3/16 6061, and I bolted it all together in a jig, then had the local aircraft welding shop put it in their oven to 300 degrees or so and then weld it. It didn't warp, one of my main concerns.

The barrel tensioning tube is 1.5" .083 wall 6061. There are stepped stainless inserts that slip inside and push against the tube ends, the front one is threaded, the rear slides on the barrel and pushes against the BAT M action. The barrel is a 28" varmint-contour 8.5 Bartlein chambered in 6.5x47 AIX, a longer 40 degree version. 130 JLK's run 2995 FPS with good accuracy. I will be shooting and sorting-out at the next match, we will see.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN0323.jpg
    DSCN0323.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 806
  • DSCN0290.jpg
    DSCN0290.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 749
  • DSCN0289.JPG
    DSCN0289.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 965
  • DSCN0297.jpg
    DSCN0297.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 833
  • DSCN0339.JPG
    DSCN0339.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 736
  • DSCN0334.jpg
    DSCN0334.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 3,883
Last edited:
WoW! Very nice work.............I've done a bunch of experimenting with tension barrels. One thing I've found is they are just about impervious to load development. Everything shoots about the same. Differences of a few hundred FPS does not change accuracy. At first I thought it might be a "hummer" barrel, but I've now had four different barrels on this rifle (243, 6BR, 6mmAckley, 300Rem Ultra Mag) and all shot great.

Tensionsideview-vi.jpg

Tensionedbarrelparts-vi.jpg

BarrelNut-vi.jpg

More here:
http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/bang!/

Back