Allen bolts for a Ruger??

T

tlo

Mounting bolts(stock to action), anyone know where a guy could get some?

Tom

If you take the factory slotted head screws with you to a Fastenall, you may be able to match them up thread/length/diameter with allen head screws. If they don't have them I'm sure they could get them.

They're standard size and thread pitch screws so as Yote says if you take them to fastener supply store they should be able to fix you up. The front screw is a 1/4-28 but the head will have to be shortened by grinding, filing, or some other means because it's too long to allow the floorplate to close. A little cold blue on the end of it and it's good to go.

As I remember the standard screws all need to be shortened to fit since they're not a standard length.

Thanks!....Tom

Searched Midways website, nothing. Went thru Brownells big catalog, nada.

Good luck finding them, short of making your own.

B-Square doesn't have any laying around either. I called them looking for some a few months ago.

Mauser 98 screws are metric, Ruger uses US NF pitch screws. It's not rocket science gentlemen. Refer to my earlier post. If there's a fastener supply house anywhere near, visit them with the screws from the rifle and they'll be able to supply you with the screws you need.

The front guard screw's head is too long and needs to be shortened. This requires a file, a little time, and some cold blue. They all need to be shortened since they Ruger screws aren't standard length which requires a hacksaw and file to clean up the cut ends.

If that's too complicated I'm not sure a person should be removing the guard screws anyway. :eek:

Tom:

Hopefully you have found your screws by now. Good information provided by all persons whom have responded.

I attempted to find some allen screws awhile back at local Fastenal store and they were available, but I would have had to buy a box of 50. Don't know whether that was local store policy of corporate Fastenal.

I bought a set of allen screws for a tang safety Ruger 77 3 or 4 years ago from Brownell's, but don't see them in the current catalog either.

My recommendation prior to making them would be to call Brownell to see if they are still available through them. If not, ask whom made them and contact the screw maker.

Just my 2 cents.

Old Cob

A well stocked ACE hardware should have the screws, and many screw supply stores, the local ones anyway, generally sell screws in less than full box quantities.

We don't have any "fastner stores" around that I know of. Well, that's not quite right, there is a pretty good sized place about 5 miles from me, but they don't sell to individuals anymore. From what I was told, they don't want to fool around with the "nickel & dime" stuff.

Tom

If you still haven't found the screws you are looking for, try J & P Custom Products. They are great guys & will make a lot of custom stuff, screws particularly.

Back