Air Strippers - Do they work?

tonykharper

I'm curious to what is the current thinking on air strippers.

If they work can it be proved and if they work why aren't they being used in Rimfire?

Please post your thoughts.

TKH

Last edited:
I’ve never seen one yet that has improved a great shooting gun. There are lots of reports that they have made improvements for some...but the scores do not support the claim. I use a muzzle brake on my high power pellet guns just to remove recoil. They don’t hurt the accuracy with pellets. Can’t say the same with slugs.

Mike

I’ve never seen one yet that has improved a great shooting gun. There are lots of reports that they have made improvements for some...but the scores do not support the claim. I use a muzzle brake on my high power pellet guns just to remove recoil. They don’t hurt the accuracy with pellets. Can’t say the same with slugs.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I kinda thought that but I’ve never actually tried one.

I’m always looking for anything that might improve my shooting!

I’m getting interested in air guns again and yours look to be among the best.

I also have heard filling compressors have become affordable.

TKH

Tony, have tried one many years ago in rimfire, believe Roger Van-Aherns built a few, did not pan out.

Since I was using rimfire barrels back then on my air rifles, gave it a try there and did not see any improvements.

Regards,
Joe

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I kinda thought that but I’ve never actually tried one.

I’m always looking for anything that might improve my shooting!

I’m getting interested in air guns again and yours look to be among the best.

I also have heard filling compressors have become affordable.

TKH

Welcome Tony to the "dark side" ?
Air rifles are fun, but picky...

Regarding strippers, I have tried some, all stay out of my rifle barrels...

in theory it could possibly help - original idea was to remove possiblity of air rushing past pellet and upsetting flight. Years ago I used a Don Nygord product on my match pistol- yes it helped, reduced muzzel flip to almost nothing. As that was a co2 pistol you could on certain days see the gas being diverted from behind the pellet. Yes air pitols due have a bit of muzzel flip, particularly when you are tryng to nail that dot at 10meters one handed. Later on all the top match pistols went to ported barrels. My FWB 40 (PCP) ( ported barrel) is perfectly dead in my hand when firing. Velocity is only around 500+-600 fps ( rule limit vel.). With the more or less standard pellet shape apx 900 fps (about best velocity wise), I think the edm approch on the rifle barrel will likely work well. There is a lot less of a vibration issue in Air units vs RF with main issue being how the vavle is being opened. I am no expert in air BR but have been around it since the early days and shot my share of targets with units from Air Arms, Anshultz, Walther and a USFT. Saving my pennies for an AirTex or Baur compressor. My old converted Miltary unit is still running, but Mr. Sheldon has retired from the biz so support for that unit is questionable.

Last edited:
I don't think so much about the air behind the pellet since by the time that air gets to the air stripper the pellet is well on it's way. But, I do think about the air that the pellet pushes down the barrel ahead of itself and what happens to the rifle as that air gets to the air stripper while the pellet is still in the barrel.

air ahead of the projectile in the barrel- diffused as it exits the barrel which i suppose could cause a bit of a vortex- never heard of it being an issue in any type of projectile launching device, in our common velocities using a barrel, except for the rsistance it would impart. Which may or may not be even measurable. Far mor drag from groves and lands. Gas/air behind projectile has more effect in theroy as it is going to travell faster than the projectile at the instant the projectile clears the crown. Hence if the crown is not uniform it could produce a slight deflection to the projrctiles flight path. I do not know if the current crop of Olympic match type air rifels employ a ported barrel most of the air pistols did though when I was still competing.
What we called ( around my parts anyway) a Bloop tube had really nothing to do with gas pehind projectile, they came about on match rifles as a means of maintaining Iron sight spacing when it was found that the optimum length for a .22 rimfire barrel was apx 20" ( this going back to the 80's). I forget the exact numbers but on march rifles and iron sights - x # clicks equaled one ring width on the A36 target. That of course was dependent on the distance between front and rear sight. The original test done by shortening a barrel 1" at a tme was written up and published isn various magizines at the time. Anshultz found it interesting enough that they conducted their own series of tests and hence then offered units with shorter barrels than had been the standard. That left the problem of sights not being x amount per click at the repective distances, hence the tibe to correct the sight spacing. There were those that surmised that the tube was to prevent any crosswind at the muzzel from deflecting the flight path - that was not the case. We called them bloop tubes cause that is what it made the firing report of a rimfire sound like Barrel vibration wasn't even in the picture at the time. Heck we used to hang weights off the front end - not for vibratio but to slow our wiggle down in off hand. I have a 18xx model Running boar Anshultz that came with factory supplied weight system- again not for vibration.

in theory it could possibly help - original idea was to remove possiblity of air rushing past pellet and upsetting flight. Years ago i used a don nygord product on my match pistol- yes it helped, reduced muzzel flip to almost nothing. As that was a co2 pistol you could on certain days see the gas being diverted from behind the pellet. Yes air pitols due have a bit of muzzel flip, particularly when you are tryng to nail that dot at 10meters one handed. Later on all the top match pistols went to ported barrels. My fwb 40 (pcp) ( ported barrel) is perfectly dead in my hand when firing. Velocity is only around 500+-600 fps ( rule limit vel.). With the more or less standard pellet shape apx 900 fps (about best velocity wise), i think the edm approch on the rifle barrel will likely work well. There is a lot less of a vibration issue in air units vs rf with main issue being how the vavle is being opened. I am no expert in air br but have been around it since the early days and shot my share of targets with units from air arms, anshultz, walther and a usft. Saving my pennies for an airtex or baur compressor. My old converted miltary unit is still running, but mr. Sheldon has retired from the biz so support for that unit is questionable.
78 yrs ago i lit match sticks with a daisy air rifle at 15 ft. Held by the head of tar paper nail

Now days you can break them off but not lite them- I do not know if them make the strike any where type any more due to several lawsuits eons ago.

Can anyone post a picture of an air rifle air stripper? A google search gets a few bore cleaning solvents, not what I'm looking for. Thanks for any help. Wayne

Last edited:
terminology not a scrubber, ported extension of barrel , gas diverter, or ported barrel . An added on barrel extension would look something like the various muzzel flash/ recoil reduction units for powder burners. all we want to do in a air rifle/pistol is divert the compressed air column behind the pellet just before it exits the barrel ( best case). diverting after the pellet escapes the crown is 2nd best. As with a powder burner once the column of air is free of containment it expands in all directions. This happens quickly ( we are dealing up to apx 3000psi in a pcp unit vs 30-60kpsi in a powder burner) hopefully the crown is even giving a equal dispersion. In the powder burner with much greater pressure the force of the gases can be utilized to some extent. the force of the air in a air pistol can be apparent in the air rifle not so much due to the differance in mass.
In air guns the idea is to prevent disruption of the pellets flight path by the escaping air .

Thanks, PedroS
Am I correct in assuming that the pellet diameter is slightly smaller than the bore of the stripper? Wayne

the best Air strippers that I have seen come standard on the Styer Challenge rifles for Field Target, in fact there's a pretty good shooter that shoots for AirArms, yet I see he has a Styer Air stripper on his Field Target rig.

Guys don’t use strippers in FT because they increase accuracy....they are used in FT because of the muzzle brake effect to reduce rifle movement during firing.

Mike

Back