Air Rifle for Varmints / Pests

T

Tom Wayte

What is a good air rifle to purchase for pest / varmint control. Price range $500.
Thanks Tom:confused:

Tom, I've got a Beeman SS1000T. It's accurate, has a nice trigger, comes with a decent 3-9 A.O. scope and retails for less than $200. It's perfect for gopher and rabbit control. It's a full size rig and weighs a bit over 10 lbs. -Al

Black Stick of Squirrel Death

I have a Gamo Black Cat that I purchased on sale from Big 5 for under $140. It came with a 4X scope that is clear and holds it's zero. The one must have addition was the GRT III trigger from Charlie Da Tuna I have recently been thinning the Squirrel, Rat and mangy Rabbit population around my house. Most between 30' and 80', almost all head shots. The rifle has enough power for one shot kills. Tis the time of year for Snails around here. They are raising heck with my Herb garden. Yesterday, I got 15 of them, 6 while they were in a dead run!! Not bad shooting but you have to get the lead just right. YMMV

Trigger Review:http://www.uplandhunter.net/id32.html

About how many fps does a 17 cal pellet need to be for average varmint use, like in my back yard?

Dunno but

Advertised 1200 fps with the non led pellets. Squirrels, Rats and snails drop easily. Rabbits need head shots or a nice broad side. Seldom do I need a follow up shot.

Tom I am new on this forum, but I would say that I think the best bang for your bucks is a QB-78 in .22cal. If you buy it from a reputable tuner, ( I suggest Mike Melik he guarantees his rifles for life if he tunes them,) I Own three of them currently, and tune my own. I do not do tunes for other then my family or close friends. These little rifles are very good and can be tuned to make big power if you need it.
the Delux rifle can be had for under 200 bucks,

here is a link to Mikes web site if you are interested.

http://www.airgunartisans.com/flyingdragon/

Billcurtis...

A HW50S would likely do the job. I do not think you would want CO2 as it will not
work well in the colder temps in NY state in late fall and winter. Buy quality and you
will be happy for a longer time. They shoot silhouette and field trail in Binghamton. It
would be good place to go and check out some air rifles.
A good airgun site iswww.network54.com/forum/79537/

Kevin

Beeman R9....

I've used the Beeman R9 for indoor and outdoor varmint hunting. I have also used a few other lower powered [intentionally] air guns for special hunt locations.
I even get paid to do it. If you have access to VARMINT HUNTER MAGAZINE, check out an article from a year or so ago titled "Death In The Potato Chip Aisle". Very well written article about my 'paid to kill' varminting I used to do in grocery stores, aircraft hangers, and home supply stores. Birds, Rats, etc.
"When it absolutely positively HAS to be KILLED before the state health inspector comes back". I always wanted to write this article but procrastinated too long and agreed to an interview for it by the author. He did better than I would have!
The one thing one has to do is mount a good sling on the air rifle. I use epoxy as extra insurance for security to mount the two piece 'clamp' style barrel mounted sling swivel stud. ["Mikes or Michaels" sling studs I think].
I also settled on high quality glass- I use Leupold's 3x-9x EFR at about $350. When you need to MISS things like fiber optic cables, glass, food products, and fire extinguisher heads [those look a lot like sparrows in fuzzy scopes!:eek:] there is no reason to skimp on scope quality. I have been very satisfied with this scope! I was told that a fire extinguisher head will spray a radius of about 16'. That's a LOT of grocerys to buy~!

Alan Becker
Becker Exterminating Co. Inc.
Powder Springs, GA

Last edited by a moderator:
Back