Adding weight to a firing pin

ArtinNC

Have any of you experimented with adding weight to a firing pin? I just read some about it on Accurate Shooting for benchrest only .

It's a variable that if someone with a tunnel was really interested, he might find some gains. Unless you're having a serious ignition problem it's probably not worth doing more than just speculating on it. Heavier springs will make more vibration, and so will a heavier pin, but it will also slow lock time. If someone finds the holy grail of firing pin weight that really makes a difference, I will just buy it. Someone else can do all the legwork in figuring it out. Bullets, powder, and primers cost too much and in some cases have limited availability for me to go spending time trying to figure it out.

Sorry it was on Facebook "Benchrest shooting and Gunsmithing " is where I read it . Tony Boyer was shooting a match with a weighted firyng pin . They talked like slow lock time was not a problem when shooting off a bench .
Butch Lambert said Mine was modified by Dwight Scott. A lightened or light firing pin is a big no no in BR.

Last edited:
This was taken from "Benchrest shooting and Gunsmithing " Scott Haywood siad . I’ve got several Bats with weights added, one is a 3L that Dwight Scott worked over, another one is a B that I got from a very well known West TX shooter that he won the WBC with. Bat is now making firing pins at .280” diameter instead of the old .250”. The extra mass makes additional weight easier to add. I’ve upgraded most of my Bats to this bigger pin. In the picture are two with weights and the bottom is the new .280 pin. As far as increasing lock time, it hasn’t seemed to affect Benchrest accuracy! It’s all about consistent ignition!

Some BAT pins have a double boss up front as well for more mass. Lots of this seemed to start with the SV ‘s, some felt the short pin was too light. When I got a DS I liked the roller cocker and ordered one for the short action, only way was with new pin/ shroud so I have two complete firing systems, cannot really see any difference however.

Back