Action screws backing out

R

rocky_lange

I've noticed my screws are backing out of the action. I can get abou 1/4 - 1/2 turn after 10 rounds or so. What number LocTite should I use (I do want to be able to disassemble in the future)? Or do you suggest some other thread locker?

Rifle is a Weatherby Accumark in 30-378. Original stock with the internal Aluminum frame.

Rocky

Either bed the gun properly or have a gunsmith do it. Forget the loctite, that'll just be a pain in yer pituty. The action is sliding around in the stock under recoil. That's all that needs fixed.

Rocky

Loctite 222 (purple) works well for small screws that may have to be loosened. It's designed specifically for that. Works great on scope ring screws and trigger adjusting screws.

Whatever you do, don't use any other color Loctite unless you have a socket head or hex head screw, 1/4" dia. or larger. Even then, 222 works good and at the very most 242 (blue).

Bedding the action is still the first thing to try. A good chance that's all you have to do.

Good luck
John

John, et al,

While purple loctite is OK for certain screws on a gun, I don't recommend that any thread locker be used on scope rings.

This is a pet peeve with me, as I commercially mount hundreds of scopes each year and don't get them back with loose screws. The problem is that when you get a gun in the shop that has been loctited you end up buggering the screws to get things apart, and many times the screw has to be drilled out.

All that is needed for scope rings is a good fit (check with proper rod and adjust/lap as needed), a proper screwdriver or allen/Torx wrench, and proper torque -about 20 inch pounds. The rings need to be tighted like a head on a car - go round and round until the torque is equal on all screws. That's it!

There are too many gun mag writers who advocate the use of loctite in places where it is not needed. Some firearms manufactuers also use things like red loctite on no. 3 screws. I suppose they have their reasons, but if you don't know the things are loctited, it is easy to get a problem when you try to get things apart. If you know its there, then you can use a heat gun to loosen it, but I don't like to use that much heat near wood, paint or scopes.

Like I say, a pet peeve....

Scott

Back