Action screw torque setting question

I have a varmint rifle (Ruger 77V tang safety) that I had rebarreled by Dwight Scott and piller bedded by Tom Meredith at TM Stockworks. The stock is the original wood that was devcon piller bedded by Tom. Ruger suggested torqueing the front angle action screw to 95 inch-pounds and the rear tang screw to 60. I think these are unnecessary and just ridiculous amounts of torque. What would you recommend for accuracy purposes.

for your rifle it may be true, but for competition rifles, repeatability is the clue, and that includes known torque

for your rifle it may be true, but for competition rifles, repeatability is the clue, and that includes known torque
It wasn't a question about repeatability. That should be noted after the torque setting produces the best groups. The question was about initial settings. By the way, Tom Meredith has probably bedded more bench rest rifles than you have ever even seen including all the rifles for Tony Boyer, Dwight Scott and many, many others.

It wasn't a question about repeatability. That should be noted after the torque setting produces the best groups. The question was about initial settings. By the way, Tom Meredith has probably bedded more bench rest rifles than you have ever even seen including all the rifles for Tony Boyer, Dwight Scott and many, many others.
well to be clear, that aint what you asked, what you said was " What would you recommend for accuracy purposes."
bedding rifles has little to do with competition shooting and winning. he maybe good, but i did not see his name in the hall of fame points. mine is.

Then wouldn't you have to use a torque wrench for repeatability after finding the torque value that gives you the best accuracy? I don't know anyone that does not use a torque wrench when reinstalling a barreled action in the stock.

Then wouldn't you have to use a torque wrench for repeatability after finding the torque value that gives you the best accuracy? I don't know anyone that does not use a torque wrench when reinstalling a barreled action in the stock.
I use a torque wrench for both. I want to have defined benchmarks whenever I can get them. I'm back to 100 fp for barrel torque. I went to a school last winter presented by a famous Gunsmith and he said he uses 150 fp and has "cured" some finicky shooters by doing so. I used 100 fp for years, went to 50 fp and now I am back to 100 fp. For sure doesn't hurt anything.

bbl torque..ii have been a big torque guy based on years of engineering background. typically 100 but based on cartridge i have used 125 and 150...lite on 6ppc but not on 30br

Last edited:
I use a torque wrench for both. I want to have defined benchmarks whenever I can get them. I'm back to 100 fp for barrel torque. I went to a school last winter presented by a famous Gunsmith and he said he uses 150 fp and has "cured" some finicky shooters by doing so. I used 100 fp for years, went to 50 fp and now I am back to 100 fp. For sure doesn't hurt anything.
Am I reading this wrong? 100fp? are the action screws 1/2 inch in diameter. or is it Inch pounds?

WHEN LOOKING AT ACTION torque one must consider STOCK material, bedding, and pillar material. some of mine are easily 65 in frt and 55 on those behind either 1 or 2 more. solid non collapsing pillars will handle a lot of torque, laminated wood will take more than plain wood.

Good thing, In thought i was slipping a cog! thank you...
What IP or FP torque wrench do you use?

Back