Action effort//disturbing rifle in the bags ?

matchman

Im curious about my Well used Nesika J action. Should I be able to operate the bolt (no amo) without holding or manipulating the rifle to keep it steady.
(I noticed without the firing assembly its effortless,also with amo if the shoulder is correct)
The aluminum end cap that rotates on the bolt(firing pin asmb) has some gauling that I polished most of the grooves out, seams to have helped some.
The Bolt lugs kinda look like a old record surface but no metal transfer or big grooves (Is this also considered galled?)
Action feals relatively smooth just kinda heavy to operate. --Yes its well lubed--
Is what I see and feal normal or do I need to seek help.
Thanks
Adam

Matchman ...

Should I be able to operate the bolt (no ammo) without holding or manipulating the rifle to keep it steady. (I noticed without the firing assembly its effortless,also with ammo if the shoulder is correct). The aluminum end cap that rotates on the bolt (firing pin assembly) has some galling that I polished most of the grooves out, seams to have helped some. The Bolt lugs kinda look like a old record surface but no metal transfer or big grooves (Is this also considered galled?) Action feels relatively smooth just kinda heavy to operate. --Yes its well lubed-- Is what I see and feel normal or do I need to seek help. Thanks Adam

Relatively smooth to smooth is normal. I'd concentrate on gun handling and flag reading. How does it perform on the TARGET? Are you shooting ZERO or TEEN groups? :)

Steel fireing pin shaft is galling on the aluminum head shroud, take apart and polish steel shaft add some transmission oil and keep lubed by appling a drop on the shaft thru the spring every time you go to shoot. Also if there is only one set screw holding the cocking head to the threaded shaft add a second to back up the first so it doesn"t come loose. Good Luck.

EVERY sliding surface needs to be smooth. Look at every part.

Does the tag end of the FP spring drag on the FP shank ? Often the tag end is burred or sharp edged and also doesn't sit square on the bolt plug [ aka the bolt shroud ]. This can cause the spring to drag heavily on the FP shank as the action is cocked. Deburr and detail the tag ends with a grinding point in a dremel tool.

If the bolt plug threads are galled then you should replace the plug. You should probably run a tap into the bolt body to chase the existing threads. Sometimes the 'lead in' [ ie the first 1/4" of the thread ] on the bolt threads has some burrs or roughness that will scar up the bolt plug's threads. I put a bit of grease on the threads whenever I R&R the FP assy.

While you have the FP assy apart polish the nose of the cocking piece. Look at the cocking ramp on the bolt body. Is the wear pattern nice and wide or is it very narrow? Is the wear pattern offset to the inside thereby raising a burr that can possibly drag on the bolt plug. I use a short piece of "Flex Stone" to remove the high point of the wear pattern if it needs moving. Flex Stone is made for cleaning up the pitting on motorcycle ignition points. Only a few strokes at a time and then use a Magic marker to blacken the cocking ramp so you can remove only the high spot. I never try to get the wear pattern to the full width of the ramp. I just don't want it to be a real narrow [ high PSI ] ridge. Regularly rinse and blow dry the parts and put the FP assy back in and recheck the wear pattern on the Dykem'ed cocking ramp.

I cut in a small radius at the top of the cocking ramp so the cocking piece has a nice smooth transition to the full cock shelf. If there is a well defined full cock notch I remove most or all of it leaving a flat shelf.

During a match I add a little grease to the bolt lugs about every third target. At the same time I add a dab to the cocking ramp and primary extraction cam. At the start of the match I put a bit of grease on the body of the bolt just behind the lugs and just in front of the bolt handle [ the areas that bear against the receiver bore ]. It's against my religion to have two pieces of metal bearing against one another without some lube.

I use Tetra gun grease.

Good luck.

Back