A couple of stock questions...??

LARRY FEUSSE

I have searched the rule books and don't know if I am overlooking something or if things have changed without me noticing.

On a sporter, light or heavy varmint benchrest stock in both IBS and NBRSA isn't there a restriction of 1/2 inch on the height of the front part of the stock that rides along the edges of the insides of the front bag? Or has that restriction been dropped, since many stocks seem to have more than this amount?

also,

On a hunter class or varmint hunter class rifle is there the same restriction on the angle undernethe the back part of the stock where it rides on the rear bag as there is with sporter, light and heavy varmint guns? The way I read it, that angle can be anything, even parallel with the bore, the way it is on rimfire stocks.

Your help is appreciated.
Larry

Larry, this is from the IBS rulebook:

"HEAVY VARMINT RIFLE Any rifle having a safe manually operated firing mechanism, weighing not more than 13 1/2 pounds inclusive of sight, with a stock having a flat or convex forearm and total stock width not more than 3", having a toe formed by a straight line drawn from the toe of a substantially vertical butt with a 13 1/4 inch pull starting at a point at least 4 inches below the axis of the bore and extending forward to the centerline of the barrel at a point no more than 18 inches forward of the boltface, a barrel not less than 18 inches long, a diameter at and not more than 5 inches ahead of the boltface of not more than 1.250 inches and a diameter at any point between the muzzle and 5 inches in front of the boltface not greater than would be defined by a straight taper between such point 5 inches in front of the boltface at 1.250 inches diameter and the muzzle at .9 inch diameter at 29 inches. The barrel may be attached to the receiver, bedding blocks or sleeve or combination thereof for a distance of no more than four (4) inches, measured from the face of the bolt. The overall length of the receiver, bedding block or sleeve or combination thereof not to exceed 14". (Maximum dimensions shall not include normal scope blocks or sight bases.) Epoxy or equivalent plastic bedding compound without parting compound, of the bottom 180 degree of any portion of the barreled action on Varmint class rifles is permitted. Remington 40XB stocks, as produced, may be used without alteration, provided there exists no interaction between fore-end and sand bag that would constitute a guiding means. Electric triggers are allowed"

I don't see anything about maximum 1/2" flats on the side of the forend, but that could be a change? The buttstock definitely needs a taper to the bore as I read it.

I read this as well when doing my initial search. I agree, there is nothing said about the 1/2 in. sides, even in the NBRA rules, but what happened to it? It used to be there.

Also, the thing about the rear stock angle only applies to HV, Sporter and LV, as I read it, not Hunter class. If it does apply to Hunter class, where is it written?

Larry

I have no idea what happened to the 1/2" rule, maybe I haven't been around long enough to remember that. As to the Hunter stock rules, other than the 2.25" forend width rule, it would appear that the rest of the stock is WIDE open to interpretation.

I read this as well when doing my initial search. I agree, there is nothing said about the 1/2 in. sides, even in the NBRA rules, but what happened to it? It used to be there.
Larry

There never has been a 1/2 inch side rule that I know of.

Maybe you were thinking of the front bag depression rule (1/2 inch last I remember) next to the forend stock surfaces.............Don

Larry,

Having read the rules again I see where there seems to be the allowance for a "no Taper" stock in hunter rifle NBRSA or Hunter, or Varmint Hunter in IBS. For those shooting "Farley" type joystick rests that is a option worth considering, however, what I have noticed in score shooting is that if "squeezing the bags" is your method of navigating around a score target, a flat bottom stock is not a wise option as you'll have a tough time doing it on the 100 yard target.

Paul

Ibs

Larry,
I can't speak as to whether or not the rule was ever in the NBRSA rulebook, but I can tell you that there has never been a rule about 1/2" flats on the sides of the forearm in the IBS since 1986...

IBS Stock Rule

Never has been in IBS rules since January 1970....................Rule Book number 1--could not find in Rule book #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10 or #11

Jim Borden

I appreciate all the answers you have given me so far on this. Good response from the IBS side, especially thanks Jim.

I was hoping someone from the NBRSA side who has a lot of rules experience would also contribute, someone like Wilbur maybe.:rolleyes:

Thanks again,
Larry

Larry

I'll give it a look to be sure but I don't recall such a rule. I don't recall much of anything these days thus the search. I'll be back..

Larry;
I just went and checked my 6X stocks and they all have taper similar to a varmint class rifle: (2) Edges, and old McMillan and a Shehane. The rule is murky on this issue in my mind.

Mike Swartz

as HBR Standing Committe

I have searched the rule books and don't know if I am overlooking something or if things have changed without me noticing.

On a sporter, light or heavy varmint benchrest stock in both IBS and NBRSA isn't there a restriction of 1/2 inch on the height of the front part of the stock that rides along the edges of the insides of the front bag? Or has that restriction been dropped, since many stocks seem to have more than this amount?

also,

On a hunter class or varmint hunter class rifle is there the same restriction on the angle undernethe the back part of the stock where it rides on the rear bag as there is with sporter, light and heavy varmint guns? The way I read it, that angle can be anything, even parallel with the bore, the way it is on rimfire stocks.

Your help is appreciated.
Larry

Chairman, I would have to rule that the HBR rifles must meet the same stock angle regs as the Varmint rifles. I have been back thru the last 3 rule books and there is no direct reference to this, but from a precedence standpoint, a heel drop has always been present in approved HBR stocks.

David J. Halblom Sr.

In addition...

Chairman, I would have to rule that the HBR rifles must meet the same stock angle regs as the Varmint rifles. I have been back thru the last 3 rule books and there is no direct reference to this, but from a precedence standpoint, a heel drop has always been present in approved HBR stocks.

David J. Halblom Sr.

Rulebook #37 (6/08) page 83 item #9 is the final catchall for precedence in this matter

I'm back

I'll give it a look to be sure but I don't recall such a rule. I don't recall much of anything these days thus the search. I'll be back..

Did some searching and couldn't find anything related to the half inch forend height.

As for the angle of the buttstock, I'll yield to the HBR committee chairman.

There never has been a 1/2 inch side rule that I know of.

Maybe you were thinking of the front bag depression rule (1/2 inch last I remember) next to the forend stock surfaces.............Don

Or, the thickness of the front bag (between the ears) must be at least 1/2" thick?

I don't see any limitation about the height of the ears, anyway....so the front bag can be without ears at all (if we wish), or even to several inches tall....

seb.

So.........

What is to keep an enterprising individule from making a stock and front bag design with 6 in high sides?

I would suggest that a 3/4 in. maximum would be good.

and

How many McMillan Edge and other stocks are used in IBS Hunter class where they do not meet the stock angle requirement, which is different than the NBRSA requirement.

I was under the impression that this stipulation was being purposely vague in the rule book in order to avoid a conflict with the Edge stock and others, which are slightly out of spec for IBS, especially in the Hunter classes.

I hesitate to bring this to light for fear of creating a big stirr, but if rules are left vague like this then are we not asking for trouble at a very unfortunate time vs. bringing them to a reasonable disccussion at a time when clarification can be made more eaisly in order to avoid conflicts in the future?

I would suggest that the IBS act on the stock angle requirement that the angle go to the center of the barrel, and change it to the same as NBRSA, which allows the angle to extend to the bottom of the barrel.

Since the IBS score nationals are over, this gives the whole winter off season in which to discuss, decide and act or not act.

I hope this whole discussion has been enlightening and will serve to clarify things and bring about needed standardation for the good of our sport.

Sincerely,
Larry

stock angle

Larry

Measuring stock angle in terms of things that can change is not good. The outside of the barrel and the actual length of pull of a rifle can vary which would make the angle change for each individual stock.

The IBS rule is written in technical terms--that is --it has set a specific set of conditions that will not vary regardless of the actual length of pull of the stock and taper of the barrel.

Jim Borden

"What is to keep an enterprising individule from making a stock and front bag design with 6 in high sides?"

The Guiding Means rule would take care of it. I was designing a stock with a v shaped forend and butt to ride in v shaped bags only to be informed the stock would not be ruled legal at any registered match.

Personally, I wish all the orgs would adopt specific angle rules based on the top of the stock and then let the guys doing the bedding make sure their barreled actions were parallel to the top of the stock. It would eliminate all guess work and make life much simpler for stocks makers!:D

Mike

Back