700 safety availability

alinwa

oft dis'd member
Turns out I have 6 olde schoole Shilen 1-3lb hunting triggers with no safeties........

I'm building a bunch of test rifles for my youtube recoil testing series and I'm completely out of old 700 triggers. I bought a whole bunch of these triggers back in the day cuz they were like 60 bucks and "I'd ALWAYS have throwaway 700 triggers around", and then that stupid X-Mark series came out.

So I just figgered "I'll order up the parts when I need 'em"....and today when I worked down my list and got clear down to Numrich and even THEY din't have them I knew I was in trouble.... I've only got three names left, all individual specialty suppliers and I ain't callin' their homes and asking for 6 safety levers with pins LOL.....and 5 of the Rem700 actions I'm using up are basically new production.....and the one old one ain't got no trigger....

Anyone got a fixxit?

I just ordered some from Rifle Basix.....40 bucks a pop but they sure look like old 700 safeties

just made me remember.... I've got that XP100 to do too! Dude sez stock is in the mail and the setup I'm setting aside has a bullpup and a remoted trigger....

Al, do you have any interest in 17's? The gun I'm "stealing" the action from is a vintage late 60's-early 70's white-line spacered, forend tipped, bellbottom swanked walnut bullpup with a 17-223'ish SS barrel bedded full length. I don't intend to massacree the historical oddity in any way but hey, you got a commensurate 600/100 type thing to get rid of.......we could talk

I'm planning to just set the original stock/trigger/bbl aside for the potential buyer to have as a secondary setup.

you'd perty much have to be wearing rainbow plaid slacks or hugger orange checked tweed to shoot it though

I still have two Shilen 2oz Match Triggers that are just sitting in the closet. When I went with Jewell, I never looked Back.

So funny how it goes....

It was always Rem conversion < Shilen < Jewell for years.....Jewell got a little sloppy with their QC.

I bought Hare, B&A, Flavio, Huber, hate them all compared to a good Jewell.

I broke out some old Shilens and went "HUHH! These ain't bad!"

Recently bought 4 more Jewell's and they seem OK.

And the beat goes on

Meantime for hunting the retro Shilens just work for me, nothing tricksy nor stupid, just WORK for me....altho the Calvin Elite has also worked well to be fair. No total fails so far.

alinwa,
OEM Rem safety lever will have a hole in it to allow the safety lever to break off if caught on something.

Rifle Basic safety lever does not have the hole.

Acquire some 5/32" ball bearings for the safety detent as the Rifle Basic are plastic.

Ensure the detent spring is not hung up in the mutant e clip groove of the safety pivot pin once installed.

alinwa,
OEM Rem safety lever will have a hole in it to allow the safety lever to break off if caught on something.

Rifle Basic safety lever does not have the hole.

Acquire some 5/32" ball bearings for the safety detent as the Rifle Basic are plastic.

Ensure the detent spring is not hung up in the mutant e clip groove of the safety pivot pin once installed.

Very well sir...."plastic detent balls" you say..... now that's just stupid!

on it

aline,
5/32" ball bearings-
McMaster-Carr.com

Mutant "E" clips are proprietary to Remington....only.

"E" snap rings will retain the parts...but will not provide the correct tension for the detent spring.

Back