6PPC Lapua primer pockets------

gpoldblue

I'd like to ask if I should or should not uniform Lapua primer pockets? Primers seat below "flush" in raw brass. I have been uniforming primer pockets in the past,but just tried seating a primer just to see. Also,should I ream flash holes? Thank you very much. gpoldblue

Lapua primer pockets and flash holes are reportedly drilled/reamed and consequently don't need uniforming. I've done the primer pockets on .220 Russian/6 PPC and 6 BR brass, but think it's more because it's what I usually do than that it was needed.

If you do decide to uniform either be aware that the flash holes are ~0.060" not ~0.080", and the primer pockets are a bit deeper than standard US pockets so you'll need special tools for either job.

If you do decide to uniform either be aware that the flash holes are ~0.060" not ~0.080", and the primer pockets are a bit deeper than standard US pockets so you'll need special tools for either job.

Just my opinion but thats why I do neither............Donald

I just did two hundred pieces of brass and they varied in primer pocket depth a bunch and you wouldn't believe how big a burr is on the indside of the flash hole. I've heard the rumors that they were drilled but when I emailed a rep a few years back, he said punched.

Hovis

I have found - -

variations in depth of the primer pockets in the Lapua 6BR cases over the years. I always uniform the pockest of every piece of brass I make; it's a long winter up here. Does it matter? Heck, I don't know but it gives me something to do.

I'd like to ask if I should or should not uniform Lapua primer pockets? Primers seat below "flush" in raw brass. I have been uniforming primer pockets in the past,but just tried seating a primer just to see. Also,should I ream flash holes? Thank you very much. gpoldblue

I believe that primer pockets should be uniformed only after 2-3 firings if at all. IMO "uniforming" anything on unfired cases is just goofy.

My opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

I've never seen a flashhole burr on Lapua brass. I've heard for 20yrs that they're drilled and see no sign of them being punched.

al

Back