6mm 65-68 gr FB with different ogive`s ??????????

mr.big

shot in a 13.5 twist 6PPC is there a science behind which bullet should shoot best or is it one of those things you just have to shoot them all in your bbl to see,,I see 65 - 68`s with 8 1/4 ,9-7 ,7-10,and on and on different ogives,,,,

I had always shot 68 gr BT`s but ran out of bullets one time and picked up a couple boxes of Berger Column bullets and worked them up to 29.5 grs 133 and shot my best scores with that load and came in 3rd at the Tn State UBR match in Gallatin 2 years ago,,due to a shoulder injury I havent shot hardly any since then but have a new bbl and gathering stuff to try and get back to shooting some matches,,

I thought about getting a 1,000 of the Column bullets but it`s hard to believe that some of the custom 65-68 gr bullets wouldnt shoot better but would like to know more about the meaning behind all the different ogive numbers and how they effect how easy the bullet tunes and how good they shoot,,

if it`s just some voodoo you have to try in ever new bbl thats what I`ll do but if there is some logic behind it I would like to know what it is,,

13.5 twist Krieger .237 4 groove 23 inches long,,be shooting UBR score matches at 100/200 yards..

I have tried about every design custom bullet that's made, or has been made.

This week end at the Crawfish I got off of the boat tail kick. I had Bart make me up 5000 bullets on the Ed Watson Dies that Bart acquired from Ed's estate.

The shot pretty darned good. I didn't win, but had 4 third place finishes and was third in the Two Gun.

The rules in 100/200 yard Benchrest have not changed. Shoot the bullet with the best agging capability, regardless of the ogive or the design of the base.

At 100, 200, and even 300 yards, BC is a non factor. Condition reading and tune are paramount.

I have tried about every design custom bullet that's made, or has been made.

This week end at the Crawfish I got off of the boat tail kick. I had Bart make me up 5000 bullets on the Ed Watson Dies that Bart acquired from Ed's estate.

The shot pretty darned good. I didn't win, but had 4 third place finishes and was third in the Two Gun.

The rules in 100/200 yard Benchrest have not changed. Shoot the bullet with the best agging capability, regardless of the ogive or the design of the base.

At 100, 200, and even 300 yards, BC is a non factor. Condition reading and tune are paramount.

so then I just buy some of all of them to see which one shoots best and there is no way to have any idea which one it will be by the number given the ogive or if it is BT or FB ???

65-68 FB with different ogives ????

Remember the 3 B,S
Barrels Bedding and bullets. different shapes have different bearing surfaces.
pointy bullets usually need more velocity. All bullets are a compromise to some degree.
Some shoot best close in usually the blunter ones and some when the bullet gets out farther.
It's always a choice of ogive shape and the distance you are shooting
The bottom line is what ever one your comfortable with.

The late Jef Fowler told me, about 15-18 years ago, the best he ever shot and the most winning he ever did was with a 6 ogive bullet he was making. At that time Jef was living in Midland Texas, not the most forgiving shooting place to shoot. Unfortunately, the last known location of that die, according to George Ulrick, was in Australia.

IMO, a steep nosebullet, say 14 ogive,is harder to tune, too much unsupported overhang, where the 6-7 nose bullet has more body supported by the barrel. Hard jam, a normal starting place for tuning, is much easier to find with a 6-7 ogive bullet.

Granted, pointy bullets have some ballistic advantage at long range but at 100-200 I doubt it.

i wonder if the data is somewhere accessible to look back 15-20 years ago at the aggs that were being shot over a years time?
it sure seems like teen aggs and even teen grand aggs are more and more common.
teen aggs way deep in the field at some matches
if it is more common than 15-20 years ago is it barrels or bullets or both?

as far as picking a bullet. i think it helps to settle on one bullet and learn it well.
that helps qualify new barrels as well as tuning the gun. when you know what it should be doing thats a big part of the battle

I have started a couple of fellows out with their 6PPCs, with good success. Invariably they seem to think that their next move should be to find the magic bullet, this after shooting a group in the teens with the readily available bullet that I had them start with. What they don't seem to get is that benchrest is not a sport of smallest or wallet groups, but rather one of average group size, and to do well you have to become skilled in keeping your rifle in tune in all conditions and reading the wind, neither of which would be improved by changing bullets. IMO it is their wallet group mentality that causes them to waste their time on a bullet search. They should hold off with that until it becomes apparent that the bullet that they are using is in fact the limiting factor, which, if they do not practice a lot, will never happen.

I have started a couple of fellows out with their 6PPCs, with good success. Invariably they seem to think that their next move should be to find the magic bullet, this after shooting a group in the teens with the readily available bullet that I had them start with. What they don't seem to get is that benchrest is not a sport of smallest or wallet groups, but rather one of average group size, and to do well you have to become skilled in keeping your rifle in tune in all conditions and reading the wind, neither of which would be improved by changing bullets. IMO it is their wallet group mentality that causes them to waste their time on a bullet search. They should hold off with that until it becomes apparent that the bullet that they are using is in fact the limiting factor, which, if they do not practice a lot, will never happen.
Agreed, and thanks for all your help

A shooter, or competitor, in any sport, should never be discouraged from trying a new component,bullets,powder,barrels,etc,etc, in their current set up. By experimenting,They could find something that improves the agging capability of whats seemingly working. The quest for extreme accuracy doesn’t end with one golf ball or one bullet.

I learned this from actually shooting benchrest for almost 20 years.

Glenn

Glenn,My remark was not directed at the experienced, but rather at someone at the beginning, who may not even have the basics down yet. Of course we all experiment, but for those experiments to be productive we need to know how to tune and read flags and no beginner really has that down pat at the beginning. I have seen fellows draw conclusions about something when they were really looking at something else. Boyd

Its been my experience that, whether you're at the beginning or end of the journey, its a good idea to experiment with different bullets. You're likely to find one that works a little bit better than what you've been shooting.

Glenn

I was just gonna start tuning a new bbl and thinking about switching from BT`s to FB bullets and noticed the several different nose shapes and what the advantage of one was over the other,seems like they are just different and maybe not better than each other,,

There will be as many opinions as posters on here
I have tested and shot a lot of a different bullets
I do think from my experience i shoot smaller aggs at 200 with a bt and they are no slouch at 100 either

Experiences of the new guy! :)

I'm new and have been through all of this in the last year shooting bullets that would never quite agg good enough. I blamed it on everything except the bullets, although I will admit that I tried a few different kinds. There were quite a few low 2's and some high ones sprinkled in to keep me interested, but repeatable groups in those zip codes that added up to good aggs just didn't seem to happen.

I always attributed my shortcomings to missed wind flags, poor gun handling, improperly sized brass, incorrect seating depth, powder charge, etc. It wasn't until I shot about 1300 rounds through this barrel that I started suspecting something was amiss with my projectiles. I had no other explanation. I tested seating depth extensively and felt I was at the best place I could be. Same with powder. I found myself a nice .6 grain window where the gun would shoot. I made a concerted effort to shoot repeating flag conditions and not force the issue. When I started seeing fliers when everything "felt right", I began to suspect the bullets I was using weren't doing me any favors so I sought out a better product here on this forum. I didn't know if it would help or not, but it sure couldn't hurt.

Before Christmas, Richard helped me out with some new bullets. In the last 300 rounds I’ve shot, my aggs are way down. I either got a whole lot better in a hurry or maybe the bullets I have now are better than what I was using before. I’d like to think it is the former, but I suspect it’s the latter.

Bullets

I'm new and have been through all of this in the last year shooting bullets that would never quite agg good enough. I blamed it on everything except the bullets, although I will admit that I tried a few different kinds. There were quite a few low 2's and some high ones sprinkled in to keep me interested, but repeatable groups in those zip codes that added up to good aggs just didn't seem to happen.

I always attributed my shortcomings to missed wind flags, poor gun handling, improperly sized brass, incorrect seating depth, powder charge, etc. It wasn't until I shot about 1300 rounds through this barrel that I started suspecting something was amiss with my projectiles. I had no other explanation. I tested seating depth extensively and felt I was at the best place I could be. Same with powder. I found myself a nice .6 grain window where the gun would shoot. I made a concerted effort to shoot repeating flag conditions and not force the issue. When I started seeing fliers when everything "felt right", I began to suspect the bullets I was using weren't doing me any favors so I sought out a better product here on this forum. I didn't know if it would help or not, but it sure couldn't hurt.

Before Christmas, Richard helped me out with some new bullets. In the last 300 rounds I’ve shot, my aggs are way down. I either got a whole lot better in a hurry or maybe the bullets I have now are better than what I was using before. I’d like to think it is the former, but I suspect it’s the latter.

And, there you have it. A testimonial of actual benchrest shooting. Been there,Done That myself.

I scored a Rifle back when I first started, that would shoot just about any bullet I tried. Some better than others. Every time I saw a batch of new shiny 6mm bullets,I wanted to try them in my rifle, just to see if they would improve my scores.

Funny thing about bullets,you never know how they shoot until you try em.

My magic rifle got stolen. Now,20 years later, I’m still searching for a better shooting bullet.

There are no absolutes in this Sport. That’s what makes it so interesting.

Glenn

glad I asked this question here

while I didnt learn much about what the ogive numbers mean I did get a PM from a gentleman that put me in touch with a guy that makes some 68 gr FB bullets that average out better for me over a days shooting than anything I have tried,,

THANX RICHARD for hooking me up with those bullets..

here are the 100 yard targets I shot at Two Brothers Range in Ky Saturdays UBR Match,,some of yall may have seen them on accurateshooter but I am not sure if Richard is on over there and wanted to thank him for the contact info .

I was shooting the 68 gr FB C-Bar Precision Bullets seated .008 in the lands and 28.6 grs LT32 Fed 205 GMM primers ,,in a .268 neck chamber with necks turned so they measure .2645 on a loaded round and using a .263 bushing,,,,all loaded the day before and shot without a tuner,,

now I am in serious need of time spent shooting in matches under match conditions,,it is hard to duplicate the rush and nerves of match shooting at home by yourself,,rest of this year I am gonna shoot none to very little at home and do all my shooting on the clock and hopefully turn into a match shooter instead of a load tester,,

100 yard targets from Saturday

2ptwius.jpg

6mm 65 68 gr fb different ogive, ??????

Reading this thread again. how much actual testing did you do?
Finding the right seating with each bullet takes time.

Back