6BR for Varmints

Remfarmer

I am interested in building a 6BR for punching paper and varmints. I must admit to having less opportunity to shoot varmints and don't have access to much over 100yds at my farm for sighting in. I used to shoot varmints regularly and shot over 300yds at a range before it went under. My hope is to find another range and get back into busting groundhogs. my worn 22/250 Remington was a lot of fun but want something more. I have tossed over a 22/250AI and the 6BR but so far lean to the 6BR. I have a new Bobby Hart Laminated stock and ready to rebarrel. I want the no-turn neck for simplicity but would like some input on twist/bullet weight that would best suit the needs of a varminteer not a 1000yard bench rest. Thank you in advance.

farmer,

I shoot a 6BR at 100 yards for VFS. I'm using a 24-inch finished length barrel. I shoot 65/68 grain Barts boat tails in a .266 neck chamber. I'm loading 29.4 grains of LT-32 with a CCI BR-4 primer. I get about 3300 +/-FPS and it is very accurate. You'll want to reduce that load a bit to start, but the 6BR is great to load for. HTH

Dennis

I am interested in building a 6BR for punching paper and varmints.

The 6 BR sounds like a very good choice for your intentions. A 13 or 14 twist barrel would be ideal for the lighter 60-70gr bullets out t0 300-400 yards. If you want to shoot the 90-110gr vld's at longer yardages go with an 8 twist.
Dick

I am interested in building a 6BR for punching paper and varmints. I must admit to having less opportunity to shoot varmints and don't have access to much over 100yds at my farm for sighting in. I used to shoot varmints regularly and shot over 300yds at a range before it went under. My hope is to find another range and get back into busting groundhogs. my worn 22/250 Remington was a lot of fun but want something more. I have tossed over a 22/250AI and the 6BR but so far lean to the 6BR. I have a new Bobby Hart Laminated stock and ready to rebarrel. I want the no-turn neck for simplicity but would like some input on twist/bullet weight that would best suit the needs of a varminteer not a 1000yard bench rest. Thank you in advance.

I am in the process now of building a 6BR switch barrel/stock for varmints and paper. I have had a trued Savage target action with a 2 oz trigger sitting in a box for about 3 years now and decided to do something with it. I have a varmint stock with a 25 1/4 Krieger 8 twist in a #4 contour that I am bedding now.

Next will be a heavy Pac-Nor 28 inch and BR stock for paper. I know that many people have little interest in Savage actions, but I really like them.

I have a 272 no turn neck reamer from PTG and will be shooting 105-108 grain bullets -- lotta wind here in the desert.

Go 8 twist and zero freebore. Start off with 50s and go heavier as the throat wears, and it will. Plan on taking another rifle when you take the 6 BR. The 6 BR gets real boring in short order when they're all going in the same hole.;)

Go 8 twist and zero freebore. Start off with 50s and go heavier as the throat wears, and it will. Plan on taking another rifle when you take the 6 BR. The 6 BR gets real boring in short order when they're all going in the same hole.;)

That's what she said, too...

6br

I have a 6br with .271 ND with a 1-14 twist built by Dan Dowling. I use AA 2230 with Hornady 58 Vmax and get 3500fps.

Next will be a heavy Pac-Nor 28 inch and BR stock for paper. I know that many people have little interest in Savage actions, but I really like them.

I've got a 22 BR on a Savage action. Very accurate but the bolt lift stinks. There are some who can decrease, but I could never bring myself to invest much in it. Tried a "bolt lift kit" which consists of a dimpled piece of metal in which a BB type bearing is placed. Could tell no noticeable difference. Took it out.

Several years ago I had a factory .223 at the range. A fellow with a new "higher quality" brand could not believe his would not shoot as well as the Savage. In all fairness, he was probably in the early stage of load development.

Back