6br barrel...7.5tw vs 8tw

eddief

Eddie Fosnaugh
Going to build a straight 6br for 105 to 107 bullets

Have a Bartlein 7.5tw MTU contour blank and was wondering if it would be better to off it and get a 8tw...thoughts??

Thanks,
Eddie

Most of the guys use a 1-8 for 105-107's. I have a 7.5 that I bought for 115's.But Iam having pretty good results with it in my 6x47 with 105's and 108's.If it was a 6br for me it would be a 1-8.J.M.2.C.

I've done alot of research and see that almost everybody runs the 8tw but, seems this is just more of a "standard" that has taken over time. I know results speak for themselves but, I know some of you rifle loonies have results that I would love to have.

Hopefully chino69 will chime in, because if I remember right he was running a 7.5tw in a 6br but, I couldn't find his results.

Eddie Fosnaugh

in in 7.5 BR barrel

I've done alot of research and see that almost everybody runs the 8tw but, seems this is just more of a "standard" that has taken over time. I know results speak for themselves but, I know some of you rifle loonies have results that I would love to have.

Hopefully chino69 will chime in, because if I remember right he was running a 7.5tw in a 6br but, I couldn't find his results.

Eddie Fosnaugh

Eddie,
I have a 7.5" Kreiger that does extremely well with the 105s, 107s and even 95s. I just had another Kreiger chambered with the same reamer in an 8 twist. I haven't had enough time to properly work up a load but was hoping to use the 8 twist for 80 grain bullets on groundhogs. If those are the bullet weights you plan on shooting I can tell you I've had great success in the 7.5 twist. I have some 108 grn. Bergers that I haven't tried and will have to try some 115 grainers in the 7.5".

My 7.5 twist shoots the 105 grn. Bergers jumped approx. .063 from the lands. Surprisingly it shoots Sierra 107 grn. bullets just touching; the bulletsmiths at Sierra explained the difference. Varget powder has given me great success in all my 6mm BR barrels, three total.

Lou Baccino

Last edited:
Thanks Lou, I have decided to give the 7.5tw a try. I also had a fella on another forum say that he's running berger 115VLD out of a 30" 7.5tw tube at 2870 from his straight 6br and they were doing a little better than the 105 and 107's.

Varget will also be my go to powder of choice since I have 16lbs. RL 15 shoots good in my 6.5x47 but alot dirtier and not quite as accurate as Varget. Not to mention the temp sensitivity also.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Eddie Fosnaugh

Back