600 yards with 20" barrel

O

ohchit

I have a Rem 700, .223, 20" 1:9 twist rifle that I purchased to practice shooting fundementals. I would like to use it for shoot some 600 yard F-TR matches. The question I have is will this rifle be sufficent or should I sell it and get a 26" barrel rifle. How much am I really giving up with the shorter barrel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the bullet, about 1.5-3" of wind is about it. And that's only if the wind is blowing.

So there would not be much difference in bullet drop? I forgot to put that it's a .223 rifle.

My 2 cents , Shoot it and see... I shoot Pistols in 1000yd matches ,Elevation is not a problem . The Wind is another whole subject ...Have Fun ... There's always someone around to help.
thanks

Bullet drop really doesn't matter, as long as your scope has enough range of adjustment to handle it. At 600yds most scopes will have plenty. You're shooting a known distance (KD) range - once you're dialed in the elevation doesn't really vary outside of minor changes due to lighting or up/down drafts. If you assumed the same load would be running a hundred or maybe one-fifty feet per second faster out of a longer barrel... there might be some decreased wind drift with the faster load/ longer barrel, but thats about it - and as swd mentioned, not a whole heck of a lot.

If you are new to the sport, I'd say take the gun and get out there and shoot. Go to a match or three before making any decisions on gear. A lot more of this sport, especially F/TR, is about what goes on between the Peltors with regard to reading the wind than it is about the equipment. Down the road, after a couple thousand or so rounds down *this* barrel, get a new tube thats a little longer and with a faster twist (1-7") - you'll likely see more benefit from a faster twist barrel and heavier bullets than just a longer barrel with the same twist rate. Even then... its not like its gonna be easy. The F/TR class is inherently handicapped by caliber (part of the fun for most of us); trigger time is about the only way to work past that.

If you reload try the hornady amax 75 grains. If they shoot in your rifle (and a 1x9 may stabilize them) the heavier bullet will help with the wind.

I used to shoot a Remington 700 SPS Tactical at 600 yards with good results. I was using initially 69gr bullets but then found the Hornady 75gr BTHP (a-max would stabilise), which worked a charm. You should certainly be able to get good results from your rig, so I wouldn't sell it just yet!

This is one place where a muzzle brake has a real use. A muzzle brake can scavenge off disruptive excess gas and give you a more accurate setup by easing the pill's entry into the pool. Shortguns of that magnitude produce a LOT of this disruptive gas......

al

This is one place where a muzzle brake has a real use. A muzzle brake can scavenge off disruptive excess gas and give you a more accurate setup by easing the pill's entry into the pool.

al

Not sure I'd agree with this Al but it's moot in F-TR as brakes are not allowed.

Greg

Monte's right- take it out and give it a whirl. A 1-9" .223 should be able to do ok at 600. That's enough barrel to get a 75 berger VLD stabilized and moving fast enough to do the job.

We shoot service rifle with a 20" 1-8 twist on an M16NM rifle. Shoot 77gr SMK loaded to magazine length and have no problems.

Back