6.5x47 primer question

338lm

I am shooting at distances out to 1000 yards, using 40.5 grains of RE17, and shooting 140 grain bullets. I have been using CCI #400 standard small rifle primers for these loads. Should I optimally be using a small rifle magnum primer like the CCI #450 for this load? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I use H-4350, Berger 130, Lapua brass and CCI 450 in my 6.5X47L.

Th only reason to use

I am shooting at distances out to 1000 yards, using 40.5 grains of RE17, and shooting 140 grain bullets. I have been using CCI #400 standard small rifle primers for these loads. Should I optimally be using a small rifle magnum primer like the CCI #450 for this load? Thanks for the help.

a Magnum Primer is if you are having a hard time igniting powder. Such as SLOW powder, or COLD temps. Beyond those, the standard primers will get the job done very well.

David

Do short range "B"enchrest shooters use "mild" loads,,,they seem to do well with Fed 205's...Roger

I am conveying to you an undebatable fact (the use of the 450s) and the explanation given to me for why they do it. At the very least, it'll be a tool in someone's box.

Give RR a call sometime and ask him about primers in the 30 BR. It'd be an interesting conversation.

Back