6.5 X47 Lg or small primer

Bob Kingsbury

Shooting today at our club 400yd er, I shot 2 targets with large primers
and 2 with small. Targets shot with small primers had nearly 100% more verticle.

and 2 with small. Targets shot with small primers had nearly 100% more verticle.

Early last season I did the same thing, 10 shot groups at 1k with loads I had developed with both LP and SP brass both pushing 115 dtacs at 3050 and the SP shot tighter. I want to tool around with this over the winter just for shi*** and giggles.

I'm waiting on a Krieger barrell in 6.5mm. I can't wait to see how this thread pans out, as I don't know what primer I will use or if I will do something about the primer size & the flash holes.

I read a while back, some of the PPC shooters were drilling/reaming the small flash hole from .059 to .070. The additional boost helped when using slower powders. If you have a vertical problem, seems like that might be worth trying before going large primer. As far as a primer for the 6.5 small case, CCI-450 works good, after that 205M.

Bob,
Have you done anymore shooting with the large versus small primers? I'm trying to decide between a 243 and the 6x47 and you've got me kind of worried!

I have done no further testing at the range. I have spent some time searching for a
flaw in my firing pin/ ignition system. This gun will fire any and all including Russian
SRP with 100% reliability as well as large. Increasing or decreasing powder has
done little to eliminate the verticle and or odd shot low.
Kinda depends on your use. I doesn't seem the 6 X 47 is doing real well, but
on the other hand, trimming brass is a way of life with the 243

I'm trying to decide between a 243 and the 6x47 and you've got me kind of worried!

There are a number of cases between a 6BR and a .243, some even semi-factory, like the 6XC. What are the things you're looking for? Factory brass? A certain speed?

Wildcatting offers a number of cases that don't have to be shortened, just necked down -- the 6.5 Arisaka, the 6.5 Carcano, and the 6.5x54 M-S, all of which use a LR primer. One of those can take you from a bit bigger than the 6BR right up to a couple grains less then the .243. Norma brass, but a very thick web.

And if you don't mind shortening brasss (it is more work), the old 6-HLS is a proven performer.

I'm trying to decide between a 243 and the 6x47 and you've got me kind of worried

maybe a 234AI is the ticket. Large primer and no case trimmimg. Lee

Hey guys,
I am kind of thinking about the 243AI but I just hate to waste barrel life on fireforming, and I think I'm too lazy.
Charles, simply necking down is more along my way of thinking. Norma would be fine but I was hoping to stick with lapua. I will give all of those some thought.
Thank you

Arthur,

Couple points: The first is, a number of people have had great success with the 6-6.5x47 Lapua. Climate may play a role with the SR-size pocket, but that's a guess. And, you could always drill flash holes, or as another person pointed out, probably make cases from the Norma 6XC brass. (I'd check that one to be sure). Point is, it may be premature to jump ship.

But if not, moving away, the 6XC is almost exactly the same capacity as the 6-6.5/47. Norma brass, LR primer. I'd read German Salazar's writeup on his blog. Custom dies may be needed, but they're usually a good idea anyway.

As is a 6 on the 6.5X454 M-S case. I bought 500 pieces from Black Hills a few years ago, when they were cheap. May still be cheap. I changed things a bit, but with my variation on the 6.5x54, I get a case full capacity of 52 grains water. It shoots just fine. The .243 Winchester is, as I remember, 54 grains water. Don't quote me.

Greg Culpepper found a good deal on Carcano cases, and made essentially a 2-inch PPC. It shot OK at 1,000 yards, but only that. There are a number of reasons it might have been middle-of-the pack, most likely the particular barrel.

Long ago -- mid 1980s -- Clarence Hammonds simply ran his 6 PPC reamer in long, and using the Arisaka case, created the "Rampage." He reported it shot great, but of course, he wasn't using long-range bullets. There is a report somewhere in Precision Shooting.

The Arisaka, Carcano, and 6.5x54 M-S can all be though of as slightly larger/smaller variations of a 2-inch PPC. The Arisaka is semi-rimmed, so would take a boltface larger than a PPC. I use a .308 boltface with the M-S case. Boltface is not an issue, unless you have a PPC boltface and choose the Arisaka.

Shooting my 6.5 X47 today showed improvement. The Rifle is a Savage 112 J series
which is a single shot. Studying the firing pin/spring set-up, I found that The spring rate
was acceptable and on par with a Rem system. The firing pin travels a bit farther, but
is approx. 1/3 lighter. I never had what could be called light dents in primers, but
just to satisfy myself, I added weight to the firing pin. Though 3 groups is not proof,
I had very little verticle.

I've used xc brass in place of the 6-6.5x47 to determine if I would realize a difference in the velocity and or group size at 300, where I do my load development then at 1k to verify if what I found at 300 works at 1000. Forming the xc brass is simple, just run it through your 6x47 die and trim to fit your chamber. I trim the xc to 1.870 which gives you allot more neck then the 6-6.5x47.

Maybe I missed something here - where did you get you hands on large primer 6.5 x 47 brass - did you reform something else to make it?

Robert

Back