6.5-284win VS. 260 rem

lefty o

looking to piece together a long range prarie dog rifle, and want a 6.5cal. ballistics for these 2 cartridges are pretty darned close. so other than the cost of brass, is there any REAL reason to choose one over the other?

as a second question, anybody have any opinions of pac-nor's poly rifled barrels?

Barrel Life

You'll get longer barrel life out of the .260
Better Ballistics out of the 6.5-284
Better Components for the 6.5-284
You'll burn less powder with the .260 (=barrel life)

I shoot a .260 AI with 139gr Scenars using 47.9grs powder in a 1-8.5 twist Bartlain (perfect twist rate) and i'm getting 2970fps this is a good 3 grains or so less than the 6.5-284. Pressure is good, but not so much that I make my primer pockets loose (on 6th firing of brass still ok). Using Win Brass 7mm-08 and fireforming.

Keep us informed on your project.

....Steady..

I`ve both and the difference is like the 308 vs 30-06, 100 fps or so depending on bullet wgt. Accuracy from what I can tell tell at shorter range is similar. It probably depends more on the barrel then cartridge. The 260 will however have greater barrel life. This could be very important in a varmite rifle that could be burning up lots of ammo in one setting.

Where are you guys seatting your bullet? Off the lands or in the grooves?
Are you using a short or long action?

Can a 260 seated long fit in the mag well?

Also what dia. nect and are you using a long throat?

Also what powder are you using VV or Hodgen 47.9 grns. is pretty heavy I don't see how you get that much in the case.... unless it is a fine grain powder.

P-Dog

Lefty,

Just how far are you wanting to shoot? Many of us think that we need big guns to shoot distance, but it isn't always the case.

On the Colorado Kansas border is a Guide that has been shooting prairie dogs for so long that he doesn't even bother with anything less than 500 yards. I know this because I've been there with him.

His favorite round - 20 VarTarg. When he decides to really go the distance, he pulls out the "big stuff"... 22 BR with a 50 grain VMax. This is someone that does this day-in and day-out and knows what he's doing. I guess you could say it's his job (Wouldn't it be nice to have a job like that?).

I personally have shot 500 yards, p-dog hunting with a 20 Tactical (32 grain VMax bullets), and it is plenty.

Adrian

Some pics from a P-Dog trip...
http://imageevent.com/avangorder/guns/coloradopdoghuntingtrip

I'm shooting the Ackley improved version

of the 260 and i'm using a course grain powder, water capacity is 56.4grs capacity and with fine (ball powder) I used h414 to check capacity ONLY it was 56grs to the bottom of the neck, so as you can see no problem with the 47.9grs if you want the load I will email it to you.

Coal is 2.905 with the Scenar's in a short action Rem and it is a single shot don't know about loading into magazines, this is a bench gun.

The neck is a .291 and you have to turn the necks of your brass slightly.

Last edited:
AvanGorder, im looking for the 800-1200yd range. im pretty well covered with the smaller calibers, just looking for something that will reach out to these ranges without kicking itself off the bench (already have 1 heavy kicker for Pdogs, and that aint much fun).

I use my 260 to 1000 yds on a regular basis and give up very little to other shooters with dedicated 1000 yd guns. 139 Lapua shoots well in the lands or jumped so they will work with a stock rem mag. 2.820 is about max for the magazine. In an Accuracy International chassis system the magazines will go out past 2.90 but the point sometimes hangs up on the bottom of the receiver as the mags are longer then the opening. A small spacer is used to cure the problem and still mag use is about 2.84 which is long enough to seat in the lands with a Lapua 139 but not a Berger 140 vld. My berger 140 vld seat at 2.87 to shoot really well. I use H4350. I would have to look up my data on the Sierra 142 as I have not used them in a while. I don't think I could use the mag. They shot good but the Lapua were available cheaper, fit the mag if needed and shot as well. Some of the best scores I have shot were with the Lapuas. The bergers shot as well as the Sierra but with a better BC. A 1x8.5 or faster twist is needed. I use a 1x8. Barrel life is good with about 2000 rds coming up and still shooting less then 1/2 moa at 400 yds. and consistant 3/4 moa at 600 yds in good conditions.

Lefty o: Might I suggest you look for one of the Remington 700 VLS models that came in caliber 260 Remington a few years back.
I have one of these Rifles and I am VERY happy with it.
It has a 26" heavy barrel and the laminated Varmint style stock.
My Rifle is VERY accurate and I have used it for long range Rock Chucks, Coyotes and have taken Mule Deer and Antelope with this fine rig!
In fact just 3 days ago I harvested a splendid 15 1/2" Antelope with the 260 VLS over in eastern Montana on a DIY Hunt!
I took this latest Antelope at 329 lasered yards and last year my Antelope (on a public land Hunting area) was taken at 406 Leica laser ranged yards.
Both were one shot kills using the Nosler 100 gr. Ballistic Tip bullets!
This bullet flies fast and flat out to ranges I am comfortable shooting at!
Anyway Remington no longer makes this caliber in the VLS so you would have to look for it on the used market. Save the "custom Rifle" dollars and NO fire forming with a factory rig like this!
I highly recommend the mild recoiling and wonderfully accurate 260 Remington to you.
I have never had anything to do with a 6.5x284 to date.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

varmintguy, remington can keep their little green rifle, but i believe we've had this discussion before. oh, and lets not forget, remington doesnt offer jack sh*% in LH rifles.

Lefty-o: Your original post mentioned naught that you had to have a left handed action for your project.
And I just came from Remington's 2,008 catalog and they offer several Rifles in both sporter and Varminter configurations that come with the bolt on the left side of the action!
I have heard that they will be offering even more left handed options in the coming year. I have several left handed Hunting and shooting partners.
And, by the way, I have seen left handed (actions only):cool: Remington 700's for sale at Kesselrings Gun Shop near Burlington, Washington link to follow:

Link: http://www.kesselrings.com/servlet/StoreFront

And the Remington 700 VLS is not green - its blued steel and light tan colored laminated wood stock.
Maybe you are thinking of the new VTR model?
Anyway best of luck on the project.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Lefty o: The memory may be fading a tad, but, if you are interested in a super accurate and handsome 260 Remington Rifle for long range shooting - I will again tell you how happy I am with my Remington 700 VLS in 260 Remington!
I don't need photographic memory for that!
Its one of my FAVORITE Rifles!
Its performance has been recorded from day one in my loading log!
And I just used it to great success on long range Hunting only last week!
I plan on using it again in fact this coming weekend here in the Rockies on the opener of the Mule Deer and Whitetail seasons!
My Rifle is a former factory offering (the 260 Remington) and costs would be MUCH lower with a used factory offering (both on the Rifle, the dies and the ammunition!) than for you to go the "custom" route on a 6.5x284 Winchester!
And custom actions (other than Remington!) in left hand, to begin with, are expensive, aren't they?
Ruger #1's are nice for lefties but they are not exactly conducive to your long range needs are they?
If you are rejecting the 700 VLS Remington factory Rifle then I suggest you go with the left hand 700 action and whichever caliber you see fit.
Best of luck with whichever you choose - but DON'T cut off your nose to spite your face in your rejecting the Remington actions or Rifles.
Millions of happy and satisfied Remington bolt action Rifle owners exist!
I am one of them, and I know many dozens of others personally!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

The 700 VLS is one of the nicer rifles Rem makes. I just wish the LOP was about an inch longer. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase.

varmint dude, i did not ask for a recommendation on a rifle, i asked about 2 cartridges. keep your green pride to yourself. someday if remington can pull its head out of its @$$, maybe i'll consider another. until such a time the 1 i have is way more than enough. if your memory were as sharp as your green pride, you'd remember who you've gotten into it with on a forum before. now go away, and take your little green pride with you.

Back