40X shooters

B

Borg

I have a question about how you all overcome the problem of the mount holes drilled off center on the 40X 22? What mount do you use? I know about the Burris Zee rings adjustability, but would like to use a Weaver type 2 piece mount to aid in chambering a round.
Thanks
Ken S

I have Leupold 2 piece steel rings and bases on 3 of my 40X's. The ones with the windage adjustment in the rear work well. Actually, I prefer them to the others.

I have the Leupold dual dovetail bases with the Burris Signature dovetail rings and the adjustable inserts.

No problems chambering a round, but I do wish the bases/rings were a tad higher.

Thanks guys, just trying to find out what I can use with what I have without having to buy something else.
Ken S

Millett makes an adjustable ring set for weaver style bases as i recall,i think both rings can be adjusted so that the scope isn't in such a bind...The rings always seemed a tad light but honestly they always held good for me.I once had to go this route on a 40X centerfire.The scope on it set what looked like a quarter inch off to the left....

I went through the same problem 5 years ago when I bought a Factory & a CMP 40X. I tried a lot of Weaver bases & it took 5 sets with mix and matching to find some that will align.
I ended buying Warne bases and BKL Single strap rings and never had a problem.
Some 40X's might be off by 1/1000 but the Ring & Base combination works!
Forget screwing around with various rings & bases that are adjustable!
I can take any mounted scope I own and put on any BR rifle I own and I am with in 2 or 3 minutes of angle. Three or Four clicks and I can shoot a target.
Just A Thought

Last edited by a moderator:
Rem offset mounting holes

I have the same problem with my 40X in .222. The rear hole is way off center. What was the machine or machinest doing wrong? Hard to believe it passed any form of inspection.

Chuck

Millett makes an adjustable ring set for weaver style bases as i recall,i think both rings can be adjusted so that the scope isn't in such a bind...The rings always seemed a tad light but honestly they always held good for me.I once had to go this route on a 40X centerfire.The scope on it set what looked like a quarter inch off to the left....

Maybe drill and tap before heat treat?
Had an XP 100 action that wasn't any better, The holes were in line just did not point the same place as the barrel. 2 ft to the right at 100 yds.

Are you sure it's the action, or are the bases off. My 40X R.F. I put Davidson bases on and Kelbly rings and Scope is as centered as it was on my Panda. Check the bases you are trying to use.

I I know about the Burris Zee rings adjustability, but would like to use a Weaver type 2 piece mount to aid in chambering a round.
Thanks
Ken S

Ken, do you know about Burris Signature Zee rings ? They are the Zee rings with the inserts but they fit Weaver bases. I use them on my long range 22's and they work great with the offset inserts. You could either use the std concentric inserts and deal with the scope being mounted at an angle with the internal adjustments or center the crosshair in the scope and use a combination of the offset inserts to get the scope centerline as close as possible to the bore centerline.

good luck

Back