40 x actions

given a reworked 40 x action if you hunt groundhogs 95% of the time in a 6 mm ppc it should shoot tight groups,say 1/3 moa or smaller.what would be a price for said rifle in nice used shape.looking at lv class...
gary b

given a reworked 40 x action if you hunt groundhogs 95% of the time in a 6 mm ppc it should shoot tight groups,say 1/3 moa or smaller.what would be a price for said rifle in nice used shape.looking at lv class...
gary b

Doesn't look like anyone wants to answer you. There is no appreciable difference between a 40X and a 700. That being said, you can probably find a Remington set up for benchrest for around $1000. I see them listed for more, but I've bought them for under $500.

Rick

Doesn't look like anyone wants to answer you. There is no appreciable difference between a 40X and a 700. That being said, you can probably find a Remington set up for benchrest for around $1000. I see them listed for more, but I've bought them for under $500.

Rick

There isn't ? You might want to bone up on your rifle/Remington history .

yep, the same old crooked and loose Rems. I would look for a good clone like Pierce, Kelbly and Borden come to mind....... used Br gun is a good place to start also....... Jim

40X action

yep, the same old crooked and loose Rems. I would look for a good clone like Pierce, Kelbly and Borden come to mind....... used Br gun is a good place to start also....... Jim

I've spent a good deal of money getting 700 & 40X actions right. I went with a Borden Alpine action several years ago and should have done that in the beginning but understand the Rem. actions were all part of a learning curve. With that being said, for the amount of money you'll spend getting Rem. actions right, it is more cost efficient to go with a custom action from the beginning.

40 x

well that is that.i will look for a used custom action on a lv br gun then. again thank you all for your insight on this matter.
gary...

On the 40X that I own it is a single shot, every 700 that I have ever seen are repeaters.
To me that is an appreciable difference

The things that make an action "Precision", mainly insuring that all criticle fits are true and square, are no better, or worse, than a cheap ADL.

I have true quite a few, and the only diffence I eve saw was the lack of a magazine cut away.

This is an old argument. It's amazing there are still those who do not know this.

That being said, a complete and Factory original 40x does command a premium price, much like unmolested vintage muscle cars. There seems to be a sort of cult status surrounding them.

If you have one, don't put it in a custom stock, change the trigger, or the barrel, or anything else that would take away from it's originality. It has much more value "bone stock".

The things that make an action "Precision", mainly insuring that all criticle fits are true and square, are no better, or worse, than a cheap ADL.

I have true quite a few, and the only diffence I eve saw was the lack of a magazine cut away.

This is an old argument. It's amazing there are still those who do not know this.

That being said, a complete and Factory original 40x does command a premium price, much like unmolested vintage muscle cars. There seems to be a sort of cult status surrounding them.

If you have one, don't put it in a custom stock, change the trigger, or the barrel, or anything else that would take away from it's originality. It has much more value "bone stock".

Really, and how stiff are they vs an ADL. Last I heard, straight don't mean jack if it's bendy.
I wonder why so many of those old timers , before the age of true customs, universally used 40 X's, sleeved or not?
You're right Jackie, it is an old argument, and one you got wrong.
And for the record, nobody called it a precision action per se, only that it is a different animal than a 700.

Last edited:
Really, and how stiff are they vs an ADL. Last I heard, straight don't mean jack if it's bendy.
I wonder why so many of those old timers , before the age of true customs, universally used 40 X's, sleeved or not?
You're right Jackie, it is an old argument, and one you got wrong.
And for the record, nobody called it a precision action per se, only that it is a different animal than a 700.

I"ll just stick with what I said.

If Tim would listen to rick and jackie he would be listening to the Gospel. Yeah they made some without a magazine cutout, but other than the roll stamp, they are a 700SA. I don't live in the blue state of New Yook, but I do know that.
Yes, they have a following, mainly from people that aren't aware or have an original that is a collectable.

Look at Bob White's Shooter's Corner web site. He has lots of used 6 PPC's rifles built on custom actions. Anyone of them would make a good prairie dog rifle. Some of more modern builds that are higher priced and older builds that are in the price range that you found the 40XBR's. As long as you go with a custom action that isn't as popular now such as the CPS or even a Hall action rifle, you'll find some pretty good bargain priced rifles. Go with current popular actions and stocks and of course you'll pay more for them.

If Tim would listen to rick and jackie he would be listening to the Gospel. Yeah they made some without a magazine cutout, but other than the roll stamp, they are a 700SA. I don't live in the blue state of New Yook, but I do know that.
Yes, they have a following, mainly from people that aren't aware or have an original that is a collectable.

And if Butch would take that reading for understanding refresher course he would not need to answer a question that was never asked.
The Gospel....Ah no.
Jackie stated they are the same as a 700 ADL. That is factually incorrect. Have ADL's ever seen the custom shop ?
Are they better than a 700 ? Entirely different question I never opined on.
Are they anywhere near any number of custom CNC custom actions? Certainly not.
Should the OP entertain starting in BR with one? I think he got that figuered out .

The only thing different about the 40x over a 700 action is the cost to you. Are the tolerances any better ? any straighter ? I think not, you are better served selling them and buying a good action........ Jim

I have trued quite a few, and the only diffence I ever saw was the lack of a magazine cut away.

This is what I stated.

As for the "Custom Shop". It's that in name only.

And if Butch would take that reading for understanding refresher course he would not need to answer a question that was never asked.
The Gospel....Ah no.
Jackie stated they are the same as a 700 ADL. That is factually incorrect. Have ADL's ever seen the custom shop ?
Are they better than a 700 ? Entirely different question I never opined on.
Are they anywhere near any number of custom CNC custom actions? Certainly not.
Should the OP entertain starting in BR with one? I think he got that figuered out .

So the 40X came from the custom shop? What are the differences in a 40X repeater and an ADL?

So the 40X came from the custom shop? What are the differences in a 40X repeater and an ADL?

Back when most of'em were done they went from production line to the custom shop when it was a bonafide custom shop. Now....could'nt tell you.

And by the by, have you been within 1000 miles of the factory? Know anybody that ever set foot in it?

Last edited:
Back when most of'em were done they went from production line to the custom shop when it was a bonafide custom shop. Now....could'nt tell you.

And by the by, have you been within 1000 miles of the factory? Know anybody that ever set foot in it?

Do you think they true an action at the custom shop ? they do cosmetic things and make them look nice is all...... I had guns out of the custom shop...... Jim

Back