260 remington

Are any of you guys using this caliber? What is the accuracy like? Besides the 6.5 x 284 what would be a better choice keeping the 308 bolt face.

I have used the .260; its a great little round. Accurate and not very much recoil at all. Much less wind hold than the .308, and a favorite of a lot of the tactical guys. My question for F-Class purposes is the range that you intend to shoot.

If you are not going beyond 500 yards, I think the .260 is an excellent choice,as would be the 6.5x47 Lapua, possibly even something in 6mm, like a 6BR or 6BRX, 6x47L, 6SuperLR.

If you are going to dance at 1,000 yards or play in the palma matches (F-class is allowed to play in that game too) you might want to consider the .284 winchester, or .284 Win Improved (Shehane). My brother shoots his .284 with great sucess in everything from 300 to 1,000. It can certainly hold its own in the wind driving a 180 Berger or Sierra to 2,900 fps.

Jeffvn

JeffVN

600 yards and under you will not beat a 6br or 6br improved, like a dasher or BRX. Beyond 600 maybe still a dasher, but a 284 would probably be a better choice. If a 260 rem has your fancy then i would suggest a 260 Improved. They claim the 260 improved will run right with a 6.5x284 with less barrel wear and recoil. I wouldnt know for fact though. Thats just the word and thats what i would do. Good luck! Lee

I mostly shoot the 6.5-284 for longer ranges. My buddy has a 260 AI. Only one barrel and less than 500 shots but so far it looks to be quite good.

Of late I have been playing with a 25 BR. It is a real sleeper. Good precision and fast.

Octopus

I currently have 5 25 BR barrels set up. Twist are from 1-10 to 1-14. My best barrel is a Bartlien 1-12 that is 29" long with a muzzle brake tuner. This barrel shoots bug holes with the 70 and 90 gr BlitzKing Sierra bullets. The barrel is fast with a full case of Norma 202 powder velocity with the 90 gr tips is up to 3440 fps. Price of the bullets considered the 70 gr BlitzKing shoot very good. Equal to the hand made match bullets and Bergers. So far my best agg with the Bartlien barrel has been with the 70 gr BlitzKing over Norma 203B powder with 205 GM Fed Primers.

The 88 gr BIB 25 Cal bullets are also very good shooters (From RG (Randy) Robinett). Berger's are also quite good but they have got pricey.

The 87 gr TNT bullets from Speer also shoot quite well.

I no longer sort the bullets as I am mostly shooting at 100 yards. My seating die is set up to set the bullet based on the ogive diameter of 0.250. I am seating the bullets lightly into the lands. This is very critical for accuracy with the factory bullets.

The 1-12 barrel has sufficient twist to stabilize the 115 gr flat base hunting bullets.

I have shot all of the 6.5's except for the 260 dues to inability to get Lapua parent brass and since that is no longer an issue I would hard at it. I love my 6.5 x 47 L and have convinced a number of shooters around me to use my reamer to build 6.5 x 47 L and all really shoot.

The bottom line is there are a lot of great choices for calibers and the differences are often personal.

wade

The 260 Rem is throated to fit in a Rem 700 short action (2.800"+). Any of the heavier bullets are going to use up a lot of powder capacity as well as having the bullet bearing surface below the neck/shoulder juncture which can contribute to inconsistent neck tension.

You can get it long throated to get around these problems though.

It is not a finnecky round to load and, as suggested, can achieve much of the 6.5x.284 velocity with a smaller powder charge. You would have to run the numbers with a ballistics program to see if it was close enough and the little additional barrel life worth the trade offs.

There are several people shooting some of the 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor and various 6.5 - 08s at our local matches that only go out to 500 meters with an occasional match at 1k yards. They are pleasant to shoot.

The .284 seems to have something of an advantage at 1k yards, but has more recoil, leading some people to have a switch barrel setup with something small for 600 yards and less.

6.5x47 would be my choice over the 260. But both are pretty equal. My friends out west use both, and on any givin day one or the other would take the win.. .284 would be my next choice. The 7mm's are awsome at bucking the wind. Better than most of the .308cal, exept the 210grain smk's

How would a 6.5 x 55 with 140 gr Berger perform?
I think that would be an excellent choice.
I would probably go with one of the improved versions probably the 6.5 BJ.
If you do much shooting in Eastern Nebr. you may know Jeff Shultz, he has had pretty good luck with the BJ.

James

Back