260 Rem vs 260 AI Accuracy

A

APrince

I have decided to build a 6.5 for a long range accurate hunting rifle and the odd reaching out there paper punching day. Looked at em all and settled on the 260 Rem. I wanted it to be a short action since I already have some of the parts n pieces and my daughter will use it also (and eventually inherit it I'm sure). I am trying to decide between at standard 260 Rem and a 260 AI.

I fiddle with handloading a bit but am not an avid or experienced handloader (yet). Most of the ammo that will get used in this gun over it's life will be factory 260 Rem ammo for hunting game and a little LR target fun. I like the idea of having the option of tuning up and hopping up the load with the AI case but don't want to sacrifice the basic balance of accuracy and power of the standard round.

The questions are:

1. How much accuracy loss will there be firing stock box ammo in an AI chamber vs same ammo in 260 Rem chamber? (my 257AI digests factory ammo just fine).

2. What barrel length would each require for proper powder burn? Want to keep it short as possible but get full performance. Will the AI add barrel length?

3. What is good twist. I see 1:8, 1:8.5, 1:9. Most common load will be shooting is 130 or 140gr but want some varmint time also with fast light rounds.

Thanks Y'all,

For your purposes, I would just build a standard 260. The little you gain with the Ackley Improved just doesn't warrant the hassle.

You will actually loose a little velocity shooting Factory 260 in and improved chamber as opposed to a standard 260 chamber.

JMO, but any real world gains are realize by going all the way to a 6.5/284, which works great in a short action, and has a great support in the shooting community.

As for twist. 1 in 9 will handle any bullet you want to shoot in a 260. If you are a little paranoid about the 140's, the 8.5 will let you sleep better at night.

Thanks Jackie,

The 6.5-284 was on my short list (If I was building just for myself maybe) but two factors swayed me to 260. Heard the long bullet seated out makes the case a little long for a short action. Many suggestions that works better in a long action. And the longer barrel length for burning that extra powder. Want a compact hunting rifle with maybe a #4 barrel 22" - 24" long.

AP

If your daughter will end up with this rifle I would go with a "standard" caliber that she will be able to buy ammo for.
You want her to enjoy it for a long time.

The 260 is a good choice.

Hal

For your purposes, I would just build a standard 260. The little you gain with the Ackley Improved just doesn't warrant the hassle.

You will actually loose a little velocity shooting Factory 260 in and improved chamber as opposed to a standard 260 chamber.

JMO, but any real world gains are realize by going all the way to a 6.5/284, which works great in a short action, and has a great support in the shooting community.

As for twist. 1 in 9 will handle any bullet you want to shoot in a 260. If you are a little paranoid about the 140's, the 8.5 will let you sleep better at night.

Sorry Jackie but a 6.5X284 doesn't work well at all in a short action, it needs a long magazine box to shine.

Back