26 Nosler

B

bjld

Hi all

I'm surprised a thread hasn't been started yet about the new 26 Nosler.

Yeah, yeah. Barrel burner, blah blah blah... My interest in it is as a source of quality brass for necking up.

The internet has suggested it is based on the 375 Ruger or 404 Jeffrey, although the rim does appear to be slightly rebated (attached diagram is the best I've found so far), so maybe it is like a shortened Ultra mag.

375 Ruger cases have approximately 100 grains of water capacity that's supposed to be ideal for a 30 cal, but the Hornady brass is not great.

Some people consider Nosler brass expensive, but in my experience it is very consistent and worth the money for a heavy gun.

Regards

Ben

Attachments

• Nosler_26_ABLR_techDrawing.jpg
    Nosler_26_ABLR_techDrawing.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,596
  • 26-Nosler-Comparison.jpg
    26-Nosler-Comparison.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 7,550
If you want to neck up why not look at the Dakota line of cartridges/cases (Lapua Brass)instead. I think Nosler is being a little cryptic in not giving the base/shoulder/shoulder angle dimentions.

My first thought was Lazzeroni. My question is with all these mfg is where is the .27-.308?

The .26 Nosler is basically a 6.5 Dakota; .270 Winchester length RUM case necked down to 6.5mm, ~66mm case length. Shorter than a .300 Win Mag but longer than .264 Win Mag, 7 Mag, etc. May as well just do a Dakota as the brass is much likely more readily available.

Last edited:
Back