.236/.237?

John S

How does one choose between a .236 or .237 bore diameter, .243 groove diameter barrel for a the 6x47 Lapua cartridge?

Shooting distance will be 200 to 500 meters. Bullets will be between 85 gr and 105 gr.

I think the twist rate should be 1:8 or 1:9??

Thanks!

I don't know much else on this but I think I know about the bore diameter. What I think I know is that it doesn't make much difference. That said, everything makes a difference but nobody knows ahead of time what the differences will be!

To my thinking, if I wasn't locked in on a bullet weight, I'd go with the faster twist. I'm getting outside my knowledge here so I need to quit writing....

I just went through the same dilemma for barrel dia. and talked to a barrel maker about it. He said if you are going for the 1:8 twist you should go with .237 and the 1:14 or 1:13.5 twist barrels pretty much all go with .236 dia.

Most, but not all BR shooters, go with the .237 and most SR BR shooters use 13.5-15 twist. Bore size will not affect it that you will be able to tell.

236/237?

I just asked X caliber on their barrel bore it's 237.
What I have noticed is that with a 237 you need a hotter load for some reason.

236 237?

X calaber barrels
New guy out west. Making button rifled barrels , hand lapped etc
check out their web site, looks interesting'
Gerry

First the 6x 47 is very hard to make shoot, 6 br would be a better choice or one of the improved ones. .236 or .237 doesn't matter at all had good or bad in both but barrel quality is more noticeable. I prefer 7.75 over any twist but 8 will do the best job of the two you mentioned. The 105 class bullets will shoot the best, .1 groups are the norm at 100, if you have a quality equipment. Jim O'Hara

I just went through the same dilemma for barrel dia. and talked to a barrel maker about it. He said if you are going for the 1:8 twist you should go with .237 and the 1:14 or 1:13.5 twist barrels pretty much all go with .236 dia.

Which is just about the opposite of what I've seen come in my shop. Just about all the cut rifled barrels that I've installed that were a 8 twist 6mm have had .236 bores and the 13, 13.5, 14's and the gain twists in that range have had .237 bores. I've been shooting .237 bore 6 PPC's for a long time.

A reply to my own post:

A "Cut Rifling" guy told me that the .236 came about when the "Button Pullers" used worn out buttons:)=

I decided to go with a Bartlein .237 with a 1:8.

A reply to my own post:

A "Cut Rifling" guy told me that the .236 came about when the "Button Pullers" used worn out buttons:)=

I decided to go with a Bartlein .237 with a 1:8.

Wow, I learned something here. A worn out button makes LARGER diameter bbl. Magic. I must have missed something.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
Butch,

I also thought the comment was very funny:)=

I bet these guys has all kinds of come backs to one another.

Last edited:
Back