22ppc USA Pet loads

L

largemouth1

Need loads for 22 ppc Cooper that are not too hot for 40 t0 50 grain bullets. The brass is all new un fired Norma ppc. I kill paper only but not in competion.
Answer to my e mail
bstill@neo.rr.com
Thanks
Largemouth1

Need loads for 22 ppc Cooper that are not too hot for 40 t0 50 grain bullets. The brass is all new un fired Norma ppc. I kill paper only but not in competion.
Answer to my e mail
bstill@neo.rr.com
Thanks
Largemouth1

No loads given just powder suggestions...

6PPC powders are a tad fast (VV133, 322, Benchmark, 8208XBR, AA2015) for your 22PPC... But reduced a tad will still SHOOT...

Now for good load density look to VV135 / 4895 / AA2495 / Ball Powder BLC-2 AA 2460....

Start at the .223Rem loads and work up... This is a safe technique for those just starting out with lotta Q's.

cale

different powders

Glad to hear from the Cooper Varminter 22 PPC owners. I really like mine. I've only used H322 in the 10 years that I have loaded for it. Used Lapua and Norma brass; both are great; but the Lapua has much thicker case necks. I turn the necks about 80% to just clean up the high spots and my loaded rounds measure .2490. Fired rounds measure .2511. This seems to be a pretty tight fit to my chamber's neck dimension. With my Norma brass the loaded OD measures .2466; quite a bit smaller. I'm a long way from expert but I enjoy shooting small groups and of course groundhogs, coyotes, and javalena. I've shot a few 5 shot groups in the 2's and lots in the 3's one or two freaky groups in the high 1's that really gets the blood flowing; all averaged together I find this is a 1/2" gun or just slightly better. I am anxious to try one of the different powders that caroby spoke of. Which one should I try?

cale...at the risk of sounding dumb here, My loads of H322 in the 22 PPC Cooper fill the case about to the junction where the body meets the shoulder. Should the powder be up to and past that point for "good load density"?
Mike

cale...at the risk of sounding dumb here, My loads of H322 in the 22 PPC Cooper fill the case about to the junction where the body meets the shoulder. Should the powder be up to and past that point for "good load density"?
Mike

Mike, no dumb... Good question... Typically a higher loading density does provide more consistent load accuracy.

I think all 22ppc / 6BR shooters should try N135... Outstanding... A perfect fit. H or IMR 4895 is a close second. Some like Varget, with an 8 twist 6BR/BRX/Dasher.... YES..!

Your load with 322 is about right, "body meets the shoulder"... You probably know, any higher and the pressure get too... Much. Accuracy suffers too.
Now, with the little pills... 40gr .224, the load density gets better with the faster powders like H322... You can put more powder in before pressures get TOO much / accuracy suffers.

Work the load up and be safe,
cale

Cale...I incorrectly stated that my H322 load in the 22 PPC fills the case to where "the body meets the shoulder" In reality the case is filled to where the shoulder meets the neck. sorry for the mistake. Does this change your comment? Am i overloaded? I have fired 200 rounds this way.

Ohhh probably not.... Plenty shoot 22ppc with 322 at around 28.0gr or so. Might back the load off a touch... This for paper punch'n ... groups may get more round and smaller...

Just watch the cases and the feel of the bolt lift... Pressure issues, you'll know.

52-55gr pills as far as pressure w/322 (sane pressures in a factory type action) 322 should be kept somewhere at the shoulder.... 40gr you have more density/pressure options...

You'll like N135 with 52-55gr pills......... Try Benchmark, H / IMR 4895 and the new 8208XBR when it's available.

25.5gr of 322 and a 52gr/53gr Match bullet shoots terrific from my Cooper 22PPC. This is with the Norma PPC USA cases.

Back