1885 Uberti Hi-Wall Experiences Anyone?

vtmarmot

P Magoon, Livin' Free NH
When I was a kid, a friend of my father gifted us with a Winchester 1885 Hi-Wall "Army Target Rifle" in .30-40 Krag. It had a long and heavy barrel, a flip-up rear target peep and a hinged front sight with an ivory bead and a post in a circle. It was mostly a curiosity to us and was eventually sold.

I figure that someday I might acquire an Uberti replica that approximates that long-gone rifle. Anyone care to share their experiences with a similar one? I have focused on Uberti because I don't think Browning made one in .30-40.

I especially like the ones with the pistol grip and double-set triggers.

I have the Antique Winchester 1885, the Browning M78, the Browning 1885, and the Uberti 1885. They are all very good.

I bought the Uberti 30-30 heavy barrel new on line for $525 + $36 shipping and FFL in 2005.
I never fired it, but in 2012 I pulled the barrel and made a sketch of the breech.
I got a #3 taper Shilen select match 10" twist barrel and cut a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved rimmed chamber.
I sighted it in out to 400 yards with Norma 7x57mm rimmed brass, turned necks, 115 gr nos bal tip moly bullets H4350 3050 fps. [case heads soft as butter]
I shot a deer with it in 2012 and have not used it since.

I can still remember how hard the breech cuts were for the extractor. See the drawing.

Attachments

• 257 Roberts Ackley improved rimmed 1885 falling block riflt built in Oct 2012 and used 10-25-201.jpg
    257 Roberts Ackley improved rimmed 1885 falling block riflt built in Oct 2012 and used 10-25-201.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 1885.jpg
    1885.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 221
Nice deer!

You sound like me - too many toys and not enough time to play with them all.

I will probably go with the Uberti because I like the look with the double triggers and because I can get it in .30-40 Krag, which has sentimental value.

Looks like almost all the Uberti 1885 Hi-walls are backordered at Buffalo arms right now.

45-70

Dads got one in 45-70 casts bullets for it killed a deer with it but that's about all I know about it. He talked about a Shiloh Sharps but their pretty high. Im not even sure its a high-wall but its a Uberti. I think its a Sharps reproduction. So I guess Im no help. Doug

They are great fun and can be wonderfully accurate when set up properly....talking about original actions. I have four set up in .22 centrfires with straight trigger, single set, close coupled, built from WWII to mid sixties. Stuff like 219 Zipper, R2, 225, stuff not many guys remember any more, unfortunately, every one shoots well under 1". Don't shoot'em enough.
Love the single shots.

Back