100 yd. egg matches

M

mike worthingto

Well I got hooked on these 100 yd egg matches a couple of weeks ago and my 50yd ammo shoots like crap @ a hundred. Anyone have any Ideas or should I just stick to 50yd. matches.

MWW

Don't know Mike, 100yds could be too big a challenge for you..Or maybe you should buy an Anshutz..:)

Mike: Take that new to you 37, put a good scope on it and work it at 100 yards. If you are going to scramble eggs might as well do it in style. And that way you won't wear out the vertical turret on your comp scope. Have fun! bob

Hi Mike! If you want to stay away from any jacket's ,hp's or hv's....Try the cci 40gr. "paper box" I play around at 100 and find at least a little consistancy with it. For me....an egg would be quite a challange at 100. Sounds like a lot of fun tho..... good luck! Ed.

They shoot this at Holton Rod and Gun.The guys shooting it are mostly retired and have been doing it for several years. If you can't go 15 for 15 you lose. Great fun and a hole different ball game than ARA. The hardest thing for me , you can't use a rear rest but can rest the stock on your hand. Ain't like shooting off a one piece rest or bag. Mr. Volk and his Russian target rifle are hard to beat!!!!! Well, we will try again tomorrow.

MWW

Mike: Tell us more about this egg shoot please. I understand eggs and 100 yards. How do they position the egg(s)? On a rail? How far apart? How much time to shoot how many eggs? Are sighters allowed? How big is the pot and pay-out? I'd like to try to sponsor one of these "egg shoots" down here. Thanks. bob

Bob I will try and try and give you the rules they use up here. You can use any front rest. you cannot let the butt of the stock touch the bench but you can rest it on a gloved hand ,most guys use a shooters glove. The eggs are at a 100 yards with a sighter target(eggs drawn on a 11X7 Paper target stapled to a saw horse) The eggs are placed on a wire like you would use to color Easter eggs only tuned upside down. and stuck in a hole in the saw horse. You can shoot 5 sighters and then you have to shoot your eggs with 5 shots. so you should only have 10 rounds at the bench. You must call eggs and you cannot go back to your sighter even if you only use 2 of 5 shots on the sighter.After you complete your 5 shots at eggs they call cease fire and go down range to score and set up 5 more eggs . You shoot a total of 15 or 3 relays then the next group of shooters are called to the line.I cannot tell you the distance between the egg but it is to my understanding an egg will get broken by flying pieces every once in a while. I have shot 2 matches and have not seen it happen yet. I will try find out tomorrow on the distance between the eggs and also between the next 5 eggs. You can use any 22 rimfire.
Call me and I will try and answer your questions or help you. Maybe Volk is hanging out here and can help a little. It really is a lot of fun !

Mike
benchrest47@yahoo.com

Bob I will try and try and give you the rules they use up here. You can use any front rest. you cannot let the butt of the stock touch the bench but you can rest it on a gloved hand ,most guys use a shooters glove. The eggs are at a 100 yards with a sighter target(eggs drawn on a 11X7 Paper target stapled to a saw horse) The eggs are placed on a wire like you would use to color Easter eggs only tuned upside down. and stuck in a hole in the saw horse. You can shoot 5 sighters and then you have to shoot your eggs with 5 shots. so you should only have 10 rounds at the bench. You must call eggs and you cannot go back to your sighter even if you only use 2 of 5 shots on the sighter.After you complete your 5 shots at eggs they call cease fire and go down range to score and set up 5 more eggs . You shoot a total of 15 or 3 relays then the next group of shooters are called to the line.I cannot tell you the distance between the egg but it is to my understanding an egg will get broken by flying pieces every once in a while. I have shot 2 matches and have not seen it happen yet. I will try find out tomorrow on the distance between the eggs and also between the next 5 eggs. You can use any 22 rimfire.
Call me and I will try and answer your questions or help you. Maybe Volk is hanging out here and can help a little. It really is a lot of fun !

Mike
benchrest47@yahoo.com

Good job explaining the rules Mike, for a newcomer :)..Bob, I'd say the eggs are spaced around 4"-6" apart. We try to line up the 5 egg sets with the benches so they're about 4-5 feet apart. We charge $4 a man, the club gets half, remaining pot is distributed accordingly, 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Depends on how many shooters we have, usually around 30. And then there are the tiebreakers..maybe I should wait til The Barn and we'll talk.
dv

Are you running a tuner?
If so try retunning - I've found 50 and 100yd tunes to be
a lot different.
Some say they are the same though.

Well I got hooked on these 100 yd egg matches a couple of weeks ago and my 50yd ammo shoots like crap @ a hundred. Anyone have any Ideas or should I just stick to 50yd. matches.

MWW

If you are shooting a Rem 37 try some Federal 922A or some RWS 50. The former is made by RWS. It's a bit faster than Eley and may work in your long barrel. Greg

Thanks Greg. I haven't had the time and the weather up here is not vary good for testing ammo. Hopefully we we get some good weather soon.The outlook doesn't look good though.I have a lot # of black box Eley that shoots pretty good. I do not have a tuner on it yet but have a Pappas Mid barrel tuner to put on as soon as the weather gets a little better.The last 2 matches I shot my back up bench gun(40X) and did a lot better.I am going to try the 37 tomorrow . I have an old stock that is bedded and has a 3'' plastic forearm add on. It really rides the front rest well. If I can get it on paper at 100 yards I will shoot it. Supposed to be really windy up here the next couple of days.

Mike

Speaking of mid-barrel tuners, The tuners I am using on my Air Rifles I copied the tuners a friend has/had on his Air Rifles. They are a 1 oz sliding weight that is secured by a nylon thumb screw. Interestingly enough, both rifles are tuned best with the tuner about mid-point on the barrels. Got to make one wonder rather or not the same type of tuner would work the same on a Rimfire rifle. I'm thinking they would work the very same.

Last edited:
Thanks Greg. I haven't had the time and the weather up here is not vary good for testing ammo. Hopefully we we get some good weather soon.The outlook doesn't look good though.I have a lot # of black box Eley that shoots pretty good. I do not have a tuner on it yet but have a Pappas Mid barrel tuner to put on as soon as the weather gets a little better.The last 2 matches I shot my back up bench gun(40X) and did a lot better.I am going to try the 37 tomorrow . I have an old stock that is bedded and has a 3'' plastic forearm add on. It really rides the front rest well. If I can get it on paper at 100 yards I will shoot it. Supposed to be really windy up here the next couple of days.

Mike

Mike ger it on paper at 50 yds then put in about 8 inches of come up. Good luck

I am a member at that club, and the egg shoot is what got me interested in shooting rimfire target games. Equipment is important, but so is the ability to read the wind. Wind really impacts those little .22 bullets at 100 yards. A lot of those retirees are awesome shooters and have been shooting benchrest for many years. It's a great game, and now my kids are getting hooked too.

Don't know Mike, 100yds could be too big a challenge for you..Or maybe you should buy an Anshutz..:)

Dick;

A bunch of us old geezers have been shootimg at aspirins @ 100 yds for years. Every Sunday morning . The leader of the group I belonged to would glue 100 of them app. 3" apart both ways.
The guy on the left bench starts. If he misses, the next guys turn, and so on.
We played for dimes. If it got to the last guy and no one breaks that particular pill, it goes back to the 1st guy. ( anti up another dime). Here's the catch....
If the first guy breaks the one he's shooting at, and the guy next to him breaks the next one,( thereby tying him) it reverts back to the first shooter again.
You can't get away with getting a piece of it. If there is any trace of it on the target, you don't get paid a dime from each guy.

Rarely can you hold on the pill with the switchy winds at this particular range. Just as bad as the one at Holton.
I used a 40x that enjoyed Eley 10x. Others used what their piece did best with. Several 52', an anshutz or two, some other stuff designed to shoot well.

Dick;

A bunch of us old geezers have been shootimg at aspirins @ 100 yds for years. Every Sunday morning . The leader of the group I belonged to would glue 100 of them app. 3" apart both ways.
The guy on the left bench starts. If he misses, the next guys turn, and so on.
We played for dimes. If it got to the last guy and no one breaks that particular pill, it goes back to the 1st guy. ( anti up another dime). Here's the catch....
If the first guy breaks the one he's shooting at, and the guy next to him breaks the next one,( thereby tying him) it reverts back to the first shooter again.
You can't get away with getting a piece of it. If there is any trace of it on the target, you don't get paid a dime from each guy.

Rarely can you hold on the pill with the switchy winds at this particular range. Just as bad as the one at Holton.
I used a 40x that enjoyed Eley 10x. Others used what their piece did best with. Several 52', an anshutz or two, some other stuff designed to shoot well.

Sounds interesting Joe..We may try that in the future. In the mean time, I'm afraid we're all addicted to the explosive egg..As Duck Commander Phil Robertson says, we are happy, happy, happy..
dv

Back