100 Yard Rimfire Benchrest

linekin

I am wondering if there would be enough interest in sanctioned 100 yard shooting. I have been playing around with it the past few years & have found it to be very challenging as well as very doable as long as conditions aren't miserable. What I mainly use is all those test lots that didn't shoot well enough. Still do but recently have shot some decent lots & done fairly well initially.
I've been shooting the various 50 yard br targets at 100 & have my preferences on what I'd like to use & thats the old IBS 50 yd target basically, with perhaps a color change.
I realize much of our summers are filled with enough 50 yard shooting opportunities & expense. Also there may be range use/scheduling issues for some. I have been shooting it in the off season which depending on your locale as with mine creates some challenges. Not opposed to doing it during the winter months to break up some of the boredom.
Again, just wondering if there's enough interest to start a new game with a sanctioning body as it would require a small investment on my part to do so. I'm willing to do this if there were enough interest to start.
I have started a poll on Rimfire Accuracy so please take a second to respond at least to it. Also any thoughts/comments welcomed!
Please let me know your thoughts good or bad. Thanks

Keith

Williamsport has 200 Yard Bench Rest for Rim Fire, in addition to the 1,000 yard center fire range. Not sure of the shoot schedule for this season, but it should be on their web site. Not to close to Maine though.

Bob

There is a direct parallel to this in air rifle BR. 25-50M is the precision distance. If you attend a precision match, the same guys are always winning.

Extend the distance to 100y, and now everything the precision guys learned to put them at the top of their craft is no longer useful. The chance factor has now been raised by an order of magnitude. The game becomes a fun shoot.

I think you will find that none of the top 50y Rimfire shooters will be interested in playing more than once. For those that prefer a fun match....that’s actually a positive. Now, with the top guys absent and the luck factor way higher, the mid pack or lower guys will be taking turns at the top. Equipment costs will be substantially less, because you will find that someone can win without even owning wind flags or lot testing Ammo. It’s a topsy turvy scenario. That said, it can be amazingly popular because there are a lot more people with low to mid range skill sets that realize they now have a chance at winning.

Skill will not be able to overcome the luck factor reliably...so the highly driven will quickly lose interest.

This is precisely what has happened in air.

Mike

100/200 yd matches

We've been having monthly 100 and 200 yard .22 fun matches at our club using ASSRA German ring targets for years. It still comes down to the same thing, reading wind flags and good equipment. The guys at the top are always there and the middle pack are always middle pack.

Dennis

Linkin
Take a look at the I.B.S. Official 100 Yd. Hunter Rifle Target (The National Target Co) its a challenge and fun.

Years ago when IR50/50 was going GREAT GUNS, they started a 100 yard Contest, as well, with a different target. I didn't try it, simply because we shooters didn't have time, what with all the 50 yard, 50 meter shooting going on.

100 yd. Benchrest

We used to shoot 100 yd. benchrest at our club for a number of years. After we all past the 70 year old Mark no one wanted to make the 100 yd. walk to hang targets, and then the 100 yard walk back to the benches. We declared it a young mans game and shoot at 50 yds. now.

There is a direct parallel to this in air rifle BR. 25-50M is the precision distance. If you attend a precision match, the same guys are always winning.

Extend the distance to 100y, and now everything the precision guys learned to put them at the top of their craft is no longer useful. The chance factor has now been raised by an order of magnitude. The game becomes a fun shoot.

I think you will find that none of the top 50y Rimfire shooters will be interested in playing more than once. For those that prefer a fun match....that’s actually a positive. Now, with the top guys absent and the luck factor way higher, the mid pack or lower guys will be taking turns at the top. Equipment costs will be substantially less, because you will find that someone can win without even owning wind flags or lot testing Ammo. It’s a topsy turvy scenario. That said, it can be amazingly popular because there are a lot more people with low to mid range skill sets that realize they now have a chance at winning.

Skill will not be able to overcome the luck factor reliably...so the highly driven will quickly lose interest.

This is precisely what has happened in air.

Mike

Mike I agree with most of what you've said with the exception of the what precision guys have learned would no longer be useful. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but from the 100 yd shooting I've been doing I find that one needs to be more in tune with their flags/equipment. Mainly their tails.
I don't think luck gonna play much of a role as if you miss a condition at 100 you're in for a world of hurt! LOL But I get your point, & yes a little luck would go a long way.
I hadn't really considered the equipment factor. Perhaps you're right & it would be less of an equipment race, don't know. I started shooting 100yd br with factory rifles years ago. Had a few really good ones & of late have been using my 50 bench rifle. Haven't compared them recently but suspect you're right in that they can be every bit as competitive.
Thanks for the response.

Keith

Last edited:
Hi Keith, This is just what I’ve seen in air rifles. May not be the same for Rimfire until you get even further out than 100y. The top 100y air rifle shooters shoot as fast as they possibly can on sighters until they land a couple in the same area then quickly go to a record bull in hopes that the hold will repeat. Most do not use flags of any kind. But...Rimfire has 3-4x the wind resistance as a pellet. The pellet game is not a precision type.

Mike

A motorized vehicle

We used to shoot 100 yd. benchrest at our club for a number of years. After we all past the 70 year old Mark no one wanted to make the 100 yd. walk to hang targets, and then the 100 yard walk back to the benches. We declared it a young mans game and shoot at 50 yds. now.

of some sort such as a golf cart or 4 wheeler solves the target hanging issue. I have shot 100 yd 22 RF Benchrest in the past but prefer the more traditional distances. By restricting the games to Factory produced rifles may help keeping the ground level but some people will always be willing to spend whatever they have to to get the best available equipment = winning equipment. Just human nature.

Pete

Back