1,000 yard rimfire

With a

About 200 yards IMO.

Fifty yd zero the drop at 400 yds Is about 320 inches with a 40 gr bullet at about 1050 fps. That's about 27 feet of drop at 400 yds so I would say its somewhere between 300 and 400 yards is equivalent to centerfire 1000 yds. Thats looking at only considering drop. im sure the wind drift is vastly different with the rimfire. Greg

What would the rimfire equivalent be for 1,000 yard centerfire?

Some clubs in Australia shoot a 200 yard score/group format with a rimfire. I dont even like shooting a RF competition at 100 yards, so have never shot the 200 format, though I would expect that it would represent at least the same challenge as shooting CF at 1000 yards.

Some clubs in Australia shoot a 200 yard score/group format with a rimfire. I dont even like shooting a RF competition at 100 yards, so have never shot the 200 format, though I would expect that it would represent at least the same challenge as shooting CF at 1000 yards.

Pretty sure it is the fast growing SSAA Discipline of 200m Fly in Aus Fergus, never tried it but they say it is a hoot.

Went to the benchrest range in Oak Ridge, Tennessee to tune up a new barrel. A guy showed up with a Winchester 22 target rifle with peep sights and put up a target at 200 that had a black center about the size of a pie pan. He pulled out a brick of something cheap and began wailing away - not using a bench. He seemed to have a purpose so I asked him what he was practicing for. He said that the 22 at 200yds closely simulated whatever it was he did with a centerfire rifle at 600yds and much cheaper. He finally shot the brick up and left. I walked down to put up a target at 200 and noted that out of the brick, he had 8 shots that were not in the black. I though that was pretty good then and still do.

200 yd rimfire competition

A.S.S.R.A. (American Single Shot Rifle Assn.) puts on Schuetzen matches - one of which is 22LR benchrest at 200 yards. Scores achieved are mighty impressive.

100 and 200

A.S.S.R.A. (American Single Shot Rifle Assn.) puts on Schuetzen matches - one of which is 22LR benchrest at 200 yards. Scores achieved are mighty impressive.

Yard competitions with 22 rimfire used to be quite popular as NRA events. We shoot maybe 5 at one hundred and one at 200 yds as club shoots, per year. A good rimfire rifle at those ranges is quite capable of fine accuracy. Many seem to think those ranges over tax the rimfire cartridge. Most of the time those distances over tax the shooters. Greg

we shoot 200 yards at our club. We shoot 25 shots at a big target. Most if not all the shots will be in a 3 inch circle if the wind is pretty calm and steady. The drop from 100 to 200 is 18 moa. That is using sk, wolf or cheaper eley ammo in a pretty good custom gun off a bipod and rear bag. It is a lot of fun. I have heard the equivalent 308 winchester yardage for windage is about 800.

Pretty sure it is the fast growing SSAA Discipline of 200m Fly in Aus Fergus, never tried it but they say it is a hoot.

Bill;

There is something else that's a real hoot, and that is shooting aspirin at 100. For years we have done this using various firearms, most of which were quality pieces. Each person gets one shot only. If you miss, the next person to your right gets to try. You'd be surprised at how well we do. Another thing...you have to get the WHOLE pill before you get paid a dime from the rest of the group.

Our leader glues up 100 onto a large piece of cardboard spaced 3 " apart both ways. My Rem. 40x liked eley red box. Others used Lapua and Midas, RW. Rem gold. Sometimes you could watch your projectile on its way to the target. Just a really fun time each Sunday morning.

Joe

We shoot 100 yard 22 with Anschutz or Redfield style aperture sights at the Manatee. At 100 the small groups are very impressive. We tried a scope match at 150 yards and with the 100 yard RF target, we had a lot of trouble seeing the bullet holes. With the mirage it does not matter what scope power you are using. Really hard to find the bullet holes. Doug

Well Put

Yard competitions with 22 rimfire used to be quite popular as NRA events. We shoot maybe 5 at one hundred and one at 200 yds as club shoots, per year. A good rimfire rifle at those ranges is quite capable of fine accuracy. Many seem to think those ranges over tax the rimfire cartridge. Most of the time those distances over tax the shooters. Greg

Well Put Greg: I shoot rf.at 100 yd. for cf. practice, and agree that a good shooting rf.rifle is quite capable there. Although I think 200 yd. is pushing it. 100 yd. will over tax some rf. shooters. But, it Will sharpen your wind reading skills. Ed.

longe range rimfire

We shoot 100/200 yard matches once a month at our club. We use the ASSA target. The .22 has about the same wind drift at 200 yards as the .308 does at 450 to 500 yards. Drop is less relevant as it's more or less constant. Wind is the biggie at 200. The 100 yard target has a center I believe of 3/4 of an inch and the 200 yard target is twice that. On a calm day an occasional 250 (max score for 10 shots) is shot but usual winning sore are 248 to 249. At 200 we have yet to have a 250 shot. Winning score on a calm day is usually in the 244 to 248 range, throw in a little breeze and that drops pretty quickly. The .22 can be quite accurate at 200 yards and is a real challenge when the wind is up.

Dennis

Amen

Well Put Greg: I shoot rf.at 100 yd. for cf. practice, and agree that a good shooting rf.rifle is quite capable there. Although I think 200 yd. is pushing it. 100 yd. will over tax some rf. shooters. But, it Will sharpen your wind reading skills. Ed.

On the wind doping lessons at the longer ranges with the rimfire Ed. Greg

Back